1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion- bicycle

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bicycle has wheels with a diameter of .600 m. It accelerates uniformly and the rate of rotation of its wheels increases from 215rpm to 275rpm in a time of 24.3 seconds. Find the linear acceleration of bicycle.

2. Relevant equations
    w =wi + alpha(time)

3. The attempt at a solution

I obviously don't know what I am doing. First I tried converting the rpms into rads/s. Then I used the new angular velocities to find the angular acceleration. However I then tried to find the linear acceleration by finding the a(tan) and a(rad) and finding the magnitude from these values. But I was wrong!

Unfortunately I do not know what the answer is, but if anyone can steer me in the proper direction, that would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2
    Hint: How far does the Bicycle move each revolution?

4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    so...I find theta in order to find the linear acceleration?

5. Mar 6, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a very direct relation between the angular speed in rpms of the wheels and the linear speed of the bicycle. Can you find it?

6. Mar 6, 2007 #5
    oh, I understand now dick!! Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?