How Does a Weight Affect Balance in Rotational Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform 100-cm long bar that is balanced in equilibrium on a frictionless pivot. The question asks for the value of the upward reaction force at the pivot and the value of the load hanging at the left of the pivot. The weight of the bar always acts at the center of the rod and the pivot is located at a distance x from the center of the rod. To solve the problem, the law of moments is applied and the position of the pivot must be known. However, the diagram provided does not show the exact position of the pivot, making it difficult to solve the problem. The person asking for help also mentions a separate problem involving two hanging objects with one being heavier than the other, but again
noapologies01
fig. MC2 shows a uniform 100-cm long bar of weight F w, balanced in equilibrium on a frictionless pivot. [picture a long bar and it being balanced on the point, but the point is towards the beginning of the bar with a weight to the left of it, to keep it at equilibrium]
L J

Q: what is the value of the upward reaction force on the bar at the pivot?
a. F w
b. 2F w
c. 3F w
d. 4F w

F w(weight)

Q2: what is the value of the load hanging at the left of pivot?
a. F w
b. 2F w
c. 3F w
d. 4F w

no clue how they got the numbers in front of the Fw

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight of the bar always acts at the center of the rod. Consider the pivot at a distance x from the center of the rod. The other end of the rod will be at 50 - x from the pivot. Now apply the law moments about the pivot and find the wight at the left end of the rod and reaction on the pivot.

rl.bhat said:
Weight of the bar always acts at the center of the rod. Consider the pivot at a distance x from the center of the rod. The other end of the rod will be at 50 - x from the pivot. Now apply the law moments about the pivot and find the wight at the left end of the rod and reaction on the pivot.

i still don't get it..please help

The body remains in equilibrium when clockwise moment= anticlockwise moment. Hence F*X = F1*(50-X). To solve the problem you must know the position of the pivot. Is it indicated in the figure?

rl.bhat said:
The body remains in equilibrium when clockwise moment= anticlockwise moment. Hence F*X = F1*(50-X). To solve the problem you must know the position of the pivot. Is it indicated in the figure?

it just shows a long bar and almost all the way to the left of it there's a weight and next to the weight is whatever its called holding up the long bar..if u got an email address i can send u a pic

Got your e-mail. I asked you to send the exact diagram. In the question some data is missing. The attachment was so large that I closed it before it completed. I saw your other quote. In that also sufficient data is not provided. In both the problems you have not shown your work.
a picture shows the 2 hanging objects on one side is heavier than the clay(which is high in the air).. Where is the picture? Unless we know the exact position of the pivot we can,t solve the proble. In both the problems you have to use simple laws of moments which you can get in any PHYSICS BOOK.

Last edited:
i know buyt my physics book doesn't explain it very well..ill try sending it to u again..i don't ask for help if I am able to solve it myself, but i cant

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is typically described in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Translational motion refers to the linear movement of an object from one point to another, while rotational motion involves the circular movement of an object around an axis. Both types of motion can occur simultaneously in an object.

3. What are the units of rotational motion?

The most common units of rotational motion are radians (angular displacement), radians per second (angular velocity), and radians per second squared (angular acceleration). However, degrees are also sometimes used for angular displacement.

4. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the more likely an object is to rotate.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum. Other examples include the rotation of the Earth on its axis and the rotation of planets around the sun.