Why Doesn't the Line Extend to the Zero Point on the Angular Acceleration Graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses an angular acceleration and torque graph and the question of why the line does not go to the zero point when extended towards the angular acceleration. The conversation also touches on the concepts of torque, angular acceleration, moment of inertia, and the relationship between torque and acceleration. It is mentioned that the graph is a result of an experiment and that there may be a systematic error in the measurement of angular acceleration. The conversation ends with a discussion on the connection between torque and acceleration in both linear and rotational motion.
Kristjan Tervonen

Homework Statement

I have an angular acceleration and torque graph.
Untitled.png

I know it should be a straight line between the points, but my question is, if you extend the line toward the angular acceleration, why it doesn't go to the zero point? It is about 0,6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have thought that there is some other forces that doesn't let the acceleration to be so low. If there is no acceleration, then how there can be any torque? The torque is what's making the accelration as I have learned.

Physics news on Phys.org
ε is angular acceleration?
M is torque?
f is speed?

ε is angular acceleration
M is torque

f means like function, not speed.

So f is the moment of inertia?

Re-number the horizontal (torque) axis so the tick marks are evenly spaced.
Then make sure the locations of your data points are drawn to scale,
and the vertical axis passes through the origin (M=0).

Is the spool upon which the cord is wrapped freewheeling or powered?

Last edited:
Is this data gathered in lab? If so, can you descr
David Lewis said:
So f is the moment of inertia?
No. It just means that angular acceleration is a function of the torque. f is an unspecified general function in this instance.

Kristjan, was this graph made from data collected in an experiment? If so, can you describe the setup?

Yes, it is data from an experiment.
I had to check the constitution of the rotational dynamics. I put on weights and then the machine showed me the time. After that I had to look how far up weights went. Just like in that picture. After that, using the formulas, I calculated torque, acceleration and also moment of inertia.
Untitled.png

Kristjan Tervonen said:
Yes, it is data from an experiment.
I had to check the constitution of the rotational dynamics. I put on weights and then the machine showed me the time. After that I had to look how far up weights went. Just like in that picture. After that, using the formulas, I calculated torque, acceleration and also moment of inertia.

The weights were going up, not down?

Yes, they went up.

Kristjan Tervonen said:
Yes, they went up.
Then you need to explain more about the set-up. What is driving the weights up? Please explain everything in the diagram.

The plot by @Kristjan Tervonen bothers me. The values on the horizontal (M) axis are not spaced equally apart. Unless the abscissa is linear, it is not obvious whether there is a linear dependence in the plotted data. Assuming that the numbers on the abscissa are the actual values of M, not tickmark labels, and that the labels next to the data points are the corresponding values of ε, I replotted the data (see below). Depending on the error bars of the experiment, the result could be construed as a straight line.
Plot.png

Likes David Lewis
I think I know the answer now. Torque's values are less lower. So in the reality the graph is very narrow and should then go to the zero point.

Kristjan Tervonen said:
I think I know the answer now. Torque's values are less lower. So in the reality the graph is very narrow and should then go to the zero point.
I don't think that playing with the graph proportions is a valid way to make the issue go away. The differences in measured values for angular acceleration is smaller than the zero offset value, so it shouldn't be a precision issue. Here's a best-fit line drawn through the given data:

upload_2016-11-15_12-11-59.png

The offset might be attributable to a calibration issue (a systematic error) if the device or method for measuring the angular acceleration has an uncorrected bias.

gneill said:
I don't think that playing with the graph proportions is a valid way to make the issue go away. The differences in measured values for angular acceleration is smaller than the zero offset value, so it shouldn't be a precision issue. Here's a best-fit line drawn through the given data:

View attachment 108949

The offset might be attributable to a calibration issue (a systematic error) if the device or method for measuring the angular acceleration has an uncorrected bias.
Or, considering that the first few points do project a reasonably straight line through the origin, some effect is inhibiting or underestimating the acceleration at the higher torques.

Likes gneill
Yes, torque is responsible for acceleration, but you can have an object spining at a constant speed and torque would exist. It is the twist force.

Ivanov said:
Yes, torque is responsible for acceleration, but you can have an object spining at a constant speed and torque would exist. It is the twist force.
Please explain more. How would an unbalanced torque not lead to an angular acceleration?

haruspex said:
Please explain more. How would an unbalanced torque not lead to an angular acceleration?
a change in torque will lead to a change in ang. acceleration, yes. What I got from the initial question is how can there still be torque if there is no acceleration. Did I understand wrong?

Ivanov said:
a change in torque will lead to a change in ang. acceleration, yes. What I got from the initial question is how can there still be torque if there is no acceleration. Did I understand wrong?
Yes, a change in torque will lead to a change in angular acceleration, and a nonzero net torque will lead to a nonzero angular acceleration. If there is no angular acceleration then there must be no net torque.

haruspex said:
and a nonzero net torque will lead to a nonzero angular acceleration
Acceleration means there is a change in speed. Something can spin and have torque without changing its speed. Constant speed means positive torque and 0 acceleration

Ivanov said:
Constant speed means positive torque and 0 acceleration
That's a pre-Newtonian view.
In linear motion, ΣF=ma. |ΣF|>0 implies |a|>0. Net force leads to acceleration. Constant speed means no net force.
Exactly the same in rotational motion. Στ=Iα. |Στ|>0 implies |α|>0. Net torque leads to angular acceleration. Constant angular speed means no net torque.

1. What is rotational motion graph?

Rotational motion graph is a visual representation of the motion of an object that is rotating around a fixed axis. It shows the relationship between the angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object over time.

2. How is rotational motion graph different from linear motion graph?

In linear motion graph, the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object are represented along a straight line. In rotational motion graph, the same variables are represented along a curved line, as the object is moving in a circular path.

3. What is the significance of slope in a rotational motion graph?

The slope of a rotational motion graph represents the angular velocity of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher angular velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower angular velocity.

4. Can rotational motion graph be used to find the angular acceleration of an object?

Yes, the angular acceleration of an object can be determined by finding the slope of the line on a velocity vs. time graph. The slope of this line is equal to the angular acceleration of the object.

5. How can we use rotational motion graph to analyze the motion of a rotating object?

By examining the shape and slope of the rotational motion graph, we can determine the direction, magnitude, and changes in the angular velocity and acceleration of the object. This allows us to understand and analyze the rotational motion of the object in detail.