1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion of a disc

1. Nov 9, 2006 #1
    One more problem on a tough worksheet...I have tried it for a while, but can't find an equation(s) suitable for the problem...

A constant force of 12N is applied to the axle of a disc rolling along a flat plane. The disc has mass m=22kg, diameter D=.50m, and rotational inertia I=.688kgm^2. What is the linear speed of the center of the disc, V, after it has rolled for 12m?

I drew a free body diagram, and I know that the sum of the moments is equal to I times alpha, and I know the good ol' F=ma. But I can't seem to be able to find an acceleration with what I am given. A hint would be wonderful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2
    Oh boy...I went somewhere, but I don't know if it was right. Here is what I did:

I used m*a=f-f(friction) and friction*radius = I*alpha. Alpha is equal to a*r, so I plugged that in to make friction times radius = I*a*radius.

Plugging that in to m*a=F-f(friction) i got:

This is rather confusing, but I think it is somewhat correct. Any suggestions or gross errors on my part?
  4. Nov 9, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right idea, but alpha does not equal a*r. alpha and a are certainly related and you need that relationship, but that is not it.
  5. Nov 10, 2006 #4
    it is....acceleration=radius x alpha
  6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

[tex]a_{T}=\alpha \cdot r[/tex], i.e. tangential acceleration equals angular acceleration times radius.
  7. Nov 11, 2006 #6
    I hope this can help you:

total K = (1/2)*m*v^2 + (1/2)*I*w^2

actually you don't have to use I = 0.688 which is given if you know the I of the disk is (1/2)*m*r^2.

plug all in, find out K = 3/4 * m * v^2

the work does on the wheel also equals to the total K above. W = F*s = 12*12 = 144J

solve for v.

Good luck.

Minh T. Le
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?