Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rotational motion of a disc

1. Nov 9, 2006 #1
    One more problem on a tough worksheet...I have tried it for a while, but can't find an equation(s) suitable for the problem...

A constant force of 12N is applied to the axle of a disc rolling along a flat plane. The disc has mass m=22kg, diameter D=.50m, and rotational inertia I=.688kgm^2. What is the linear speed of the center of the disc, V, after it has rolled for 12m?

I drew a free body diagram, and I know that the sum of the moments is equal to I times alpha, and I know the good ol' F=ma. But I can't seem to be able to find an acceleration with what I am given. A hint would be wonderful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2
    Oh boy...I went somewhere, but I don't know if it was right. Here is what I did:

I used m*a=f-f(friction) and friction*radius = I*alpha. Alpha is equal to a*r, so I plugged that in to make friction times radius = I*a*radius.

Plugging that in to m*a=F-f(friction) i got:

m*a=F-((I*alpha*radius)/(radius))

This is rather confusing, but I think it is somewhat correct. Any suggestions or gross errors on my part?

4. Nov 9, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right idea, but alpha does not equal a*r. alpha and a are certainly related and you need that relationship, but that is not it.

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4
    it is....acceleration=radius x alpha

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

[tex]a_{T}=\alpha \cdot r[/tex], i.e. tangential acceleration equals angular acceleration times radius.

7. Nov 11, 2006 #6
    I hope this can help you:

total K = (1/2)*m*v^2 + (1/2)*I*w^2

actually you don't have to use I = 0.688 which is given if you know the I of the disk is (1/2)*m*r^2.

plug all in, find out K = 3/4 * m * v^2

next,

the work does on the wheel also equals to the total K above. W = F*s = 12*12 = 144J

solve for v.

Good luck.

Minh T. Le

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook