Rotational Motion of a long pole

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of the upper end of a 3.3m long pole that is balanced vertically and given a small push. By using energy conservation, the formula v=(1.5gh)^(1/2) is derived, but it is noted that this only gives the speed of the center of mass. A simpler approach is suggested, which is to consider the stick as being in pure rotational motion and using the formula I_{end} = 1/3 M L^2 to find the speed of the tip. The book does not provide an answer for this problem.
Skomatth
A 3.3m long pole is balanced vertically on its tip. It is given a tiny push. What will be the speed of the upper end of the pole just before it hits the ground? Assume the lower end does not slip.

mgh=.5mv^2 + .5Iw^2 Initial PE = final KE translation + final KE rotational
v=rw, I=.33mr^2

Combine these equations and I got
v=(1.5gh)^(1/2)

Now I think this is the speed of the CM, located 1.65m above the ground (h=1.65). So to find the speed of the tip I covert v into radians per second and then multiply that by 3.3 to find speed of the tip.

Is this method correct? The book contains no answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your basic idea of using energy conservation is correct, but the details are not. The total KE of the rod as it hits the ground can be viewed as a combination of the translational KE of the CM plus the rotational KE about the CM. ([itex]I_{cm} = 1/12 M L^2[/itex])

A simpler approach is to realize that the stick is in pure rotational about the pivot point, thus the KE of the rod is just the rotational KE about the pivot point. ([itex]I_{end} = 1/3 M L^2[/itex])

Thanks for your help.

1. What is rotational motion of a long pole?

Rotational motion of a long pole is the movement of a long, slender object around an axis or point. This type of motion is often seen in objects such as flagpoles, wind turbines, and javelins.

2. What causes rotational motion of a long pole?

Rotational motion of a long pole is caused by a force applied at a distance from the axis of rotation. This force creates a torque, which causes the pole to rotate around its axis.

3. How is rotational motion of a long pole different from linear motion?

Rotational motion of a long pole involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion requires a torque, while linear motion only requires a force.

4. How is rotational motion of a long pole measured?

Rotational motion of a long pole is measured in units of radians or degrees. Radians are based on the length of the arc along the circumference of the circle, while degrees are based on dividing the circle into 360 equal parts.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational motion of a long pole?

Rotational motion of a long pole has many practical applications, such as in the operation of machinery, sports equipment, and transportation vehicles. It is also important in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and the Earth's rotation.