1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion of an object

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    I have two problems I am working on, and I have no idea about either

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A 0.400-kg object is swung in a circular path and in a vertical plane on a 0.500-m-length string. If the angular speed at the bottom is 8.00rad/s, what is the tension in the string when the object is at the bottom of the circle?

2. At what angle (relative to the horizontal) should a curve 52 m in radius be banked if no friction is required to prevent the car from slipping when traveling at 12 m/s? (g-9.8m/s^2)

2. Relevant equations

1 . m(v^2/r)=T ??

2. ?

3. The attempt at a solution

?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    Well, for the first problem, you'll need to relate the objects tangential speed to its angular speed. Any idea on what equation you should use? (Hint: We're dealing with circular motion).

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    I have been attempting to use Vt=rw and then plugging that number into m(v^2/r) to give me the total force

Is the tension the only force?

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    The tension is not the only force, but it's the only force we're concerned with. If you mean "Vt" to be the tangential velocity, that's the correct equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?