1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion of flywheel

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is designed to get its energy from a rotating flywheel with a radius of 1.85 m and a mass of 678 kg. Before a trip, the flywheel is attached to an electric motor, which brings the flywheel's rotational speed up to 3610 rev/min. Find the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel. Answer in units of J.

If the flywheel is to supply energy to the car as would a 7.9hp motor, how long could the car run before the flywheel would have to be brought back up to speed? Answer in units of h.

2. Relevant equations

rotational KE= 1/2 I [tex]\omega[/tex]2
    I=1/2mr2
    [tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\omega[/tex]o + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t
    [tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\theta[/tex]o=[tex]\omega[/tex]ot+1/2[tex]\alpha[/tex]t2

3. The attempt at a solution

I found part 1 which was 82905777.99J but am stuck on how to approach part 2. I think I should use a rotational equation but I don't know angular position nor angular acceleration. Since they give me 7.9hp, I think I should convert it to work (1hp=746W) but don't know what to do with it. Any direction to take would be helpful.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi ba726,

This is not converting to work; it is changing the units: that is, changing a power of 7.9 horsepower to the same power in units of watts.

Once you have the power in watts, what is the relationship between power and time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook