Rotational Motion Problem - 16

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a collision between a wheel and a step, and how to apply conservation of momentum and angular momentum to solve it. The participants consider the direction and impulsive nature of various forces, including the normal force from the step and the frictional force on the ground, and ultimately come to a conclusion regarding how to approach the problem.
coldblood
Hi friends,
Please help me in solving this problem, I'll appreciate the help.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/1493276_1461728287387610_1599334130_n.jpg

Attempt -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q87/s720x720/1482774_1461728540720918_889630073_n.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi coldblood! :smile:

this is a collision

energy will be lost

both v and ω will change suddenly

hint: can you use conservation of momentum in any direction? if not, why not?

can you use conservation of angular momentum about any point? if not, why not?​

tiny-tim said:
can you use conservation of momentum in any direction? if not, why not?

can you use conservation of angular momentum about any point? if not, why not?[/INDENT]

I think I can conserve momentum in the direction of line OP, because in this direction the wheel exerts force on the step during collision.

And the wheel rotates about point P, hence I can conserve angular momentum about that point.

hi coldblood! :wink:
coldblood said:
I think I can conserve momentum in the direction of line OP, because in this direction the wheel exerts force on the step during collision.

no, because the impulse at the step is completely unknown …

it could be in any direction, so no direction is safe :redface:
And the wheel rotates about point P, hence I can conserve angular momentum about that point.

yes, but that's not quite the right reasoning …

the impulse at the step (obviously) has no torque about the step, so there wil be no impulsive (ie sudden) change in angular momentum (the weight does have a torque, and so does the reaction force from the ground, but they're not impulsive, so they don't contribute to the impulsive change)

ok, so use impulsive conservation of angular momentum …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(the weight does have a torque, and so does the
what do you get? :smile:[/INDENT]

The torque of mg :

mg (R cos 300) But it will be anticlockwise.

The torque of reactionary force will be zero.

Last edited:
coldblood said:
The torque of mg :

mg (R cos 300) But it will be anticlockwise.

yes, but it's not impulsive

when you do impulsive conservation of angular momentum,

you are comparing angular momentum "before" with angular momentum "after",

∆(angular momentum) = angular impulse = torque times ∆t​

and the gap, ∆t, in time between "before" and "after" is (taken to be) infinitesimally small

in that infinitesimally small time, the torque-times-time of mg is obviously infinitesimally small, ie we ignore it

(same with the reaction force: it too is not impulsive, its impulsive torque is taken to be zero)

so what impulsive forces are there?

and what is the total impulsive torque?​

This thread is heading in the right direction to deduce A, but I can't agree that B and C are true.

haruspex said:
This thread is heading in the right direction to deduce A, but I can't agree that B and C are true.

for now, let's keep our eyes firmly on A :smile:

i haven't even looked at B or C yet :wink:

tiny-tim said:
what is the total impulsive torque?[/INDENT]

Will the torque due to friction act as impulsive torque here or the torque due to reaction force?

Last edited:
loosely speaking:

if the surface changes suddenly, the reaction force is impulsive; if it changes smoothly, it's not impulsive​

the step is a sudden change, so the force from it is impulsive

the ground is flat, so the force from it is not impulsive

Yes, that's a useful guide, but fwiw, here's how I think of it. If a force is limited in magnitude then its integral over an arbitrarily short time is arbitrarily small, so no impulsive momentum change. The gravitational force is so limited, and in consequence so are the normal force from the ground and any friction on the ground.
The normal force from the step has to deliver a certain momentum change regardless of how short the duration of impact, so the force is unlimited. Consequently, so is the frictional force.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point. This type of motion involves an object rotating or spinning rather than moving in a straight line.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

The main difference between rotational motion and linear motion is the path of movement. Linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line, while rotational motion involves an object rotating or spinning around a fixed point.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or spins. It is measured in radians per second and indicates the speed and direction of rotation.

4. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is directly proportional to the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the rotation of the Earth around its axis, the spinning of a top, the movement of a bicycle wheel, and the rotation of a car tire.