Understanding Friction in Rotational Motion: Solving a Common Misconception

In summary, The problem involves finding the frictional force acting on a cylinder rolling on a surface with a horizontal force applied at a certain height. The equations for torque and force are used to determine the correct equation for the frictional force, which is found to be 3Rf = F (R - 2x). The range of possible values for x is 0 to R, and for the friction force, it can be anywhere from 0 to μsN.
coldblood
Hi friends,
Please help me in solving this problem, I'll appreciate the help.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/s720x720/1471110_1461726330721139_1078073816_n.jpg

Attempt:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1486585_1461727017387737_725847173_n.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any shortcut here. Write out the usual force/torque/acceleration equations, assuming rolling contact and taking the point of application of F to be some height x above the centre of mass. It doesn't say whether the cylinder is uniform, so maybe put I as the Moment of Inertia for now.

haruspex said:
I don't think there's any shortcut here. Write out the usual force/torque/acceleration equations, assuming rolling contact and taking the point of application of F to be some height x above the centre of mass. It doesn't say whether the cylinder is uniform, so maybe put I as the Moment of Inertia for now.

Taking torque about the centre point and let the cylinder to be uniform,

F. (x) + f(R) = (I).α
=> F(x) + f(R) = 1/2 MR2
=>Fx + fR = MR2 α/2 - - - - - - -(1)

Force equation,

F - f = ma (a be the acceleration of c.o.m.) and for no slipping, a = Rα

So, F - f = mRα - - - - - - -- - (2)

coldblood said:
Taking torque about the centre point and let the cylinder to be uniform,

F. (x) + f(R) = (I).α
=> F(x) + f(R) = 1/2 MR2
=>Fx + fR = MR2 α/2 - - - - - - -(1)

Force equation,

F - f = ma (a be the acceleration of c.o.m.) and for no slipping, a = Rα

So, F - f = mRα - - - - - - -- - (2)
So eliminate α to find f as a function of x.

haruspex said:
So eliminate α to find f as a function of x.

f = F - [2F(R+x)]/ 3MR2

coldblood said:
f = F - [2F(R+x)]/ 3MR2
No, that's dimensionally incorrect. Try it again.

haruspex said:
No, that's dimensionally incorrect. Try it again.

Yes, Sorry for this.

The correct one is,

f = F - [F(x + R)]/ 2R ; 0≤x≤R

Here, x can not exceed R.

For x = 0, f = F/2 i.e. translational motion is happening.
For x = R, f = 0 i.e. pure rolling

But for any value of x < R, f will have some positive value. i.e. it will act backwards.

coldblood said:
f = F - [F(x + R)]/ 2R ; 0≤x≤R
Still not right. You should get a term like 3Rf.

hi coldblood! :smile:
coldblood said:
Taking torque about the centre point …
haruspex said:
I don't think there's any shortcut here.

yes there is

take torque about the bottom of the cylinder (the point of contact and centre of rotation)

[you can do τ = Iα about a moving point provided

i] it is the centre of mass

or

ii] it is the centre of rotation and the centre of rotation is moving in a straight line parallel to the centre of mass :wink:]​

tiny-tim said:
yes there is

I merely meant that you can't reason it out without getting into equations (as had been attempted in the OP). Yes, some routes to the equations are distinctly faster than others.

haruspex said:

are the equations which I wrote in post 3 right?

haruspex said:

Yes I got the correct equation,

3Rf = F (R - 2x)

coldblood said:
Yes I got the correct equation,

3Rf = F (R - 2x)
Good. Now, what is the range of possible values of x?

haruspex said:
what is the range of possible values of x?

3Rf = F (R - 2x)

x lies between 0 to R
when x = 0, f = F/3
when x = R, f = - f/3
when x = R/2, f = 0

coldblood said:
3Rf = F (R - 2x)

x lies between 0 to R
when x = 0, f = F/3
when x = R, f = - f/3
when x = R/2, f = 0
Right. Can you select an answer now?

haruspex said:
Right. Can you select an answer now?

Well the confusion which is arising is that I got the function

3Rf = F (R - 2x)

x lies between 0 to R
when x = 0, f = F/3
when x = R, f = - f/3
when x = R/2, f = 0

using the condition of pure rolling, I used a = Rα for the bottom point.

coldblood said:
Well the confusion which is arising is that I got the function

3Rf = F (R - 2x)

x lies between 0 to R
when x = 0, f = F/3
when x = R, f = - f/3
when x = R/2, f = 0

using the condition of pure rolling, I used a = Rα for the bottom point.
Right, and that does match one of A, B, C, D. Which one?

haruspex said:
Right, and that does match one of A, B, C, D. Which one?

Last one when x = R/2, f = 0, Because during pure rolling contact point does not slip. Hence friction is zero.

coldblood said:
Last one when x = R/2, f = 0, Because during pure rolling contact point does not slip. Hence friction is zero.
No, x can be anything from 0 to 2R. You need an answer that's valid for any x. If x is not R/2 there will be a frictional force.

You said friction = 0 was the last choice. It's the third choice of four.

haruspex said:
No, x can be anything from 0 to 2R. You need an answer that's valid for any x. If x is not R/2 there will be a frictional force.

You said friction = 0 was the last choice. It's the third choice of four.

I got it. That means Any of the choice could be there. Hence Can't be interpreted?

coldblood said:
I got it. That means Any of the choice could be there. Hence Can't be interpreted?

The post which I wrote, Because during pure rolling contact point does not slip. Hence friction is zero.. Is this statement correct?

coldblood said:
The post which I wrote, Because during pure rolling contact point does not slip. Hence friction is zero.. Is this statement correct?
No. During rolling the frictional force has a magnitude anywhere from 0 to μsN.

The friction is zero if the applied force is zero and the cylinder rolls with constant velocity (and angular velocity)

By the way,the problem did not say that it was pure rolling, did it?

ehild

haruspex said:
No, x can be anything from 0 to 2R.
Scratch that. I forgot that we defined x to be the height of the force above the centre of the disc. So x is from -R to +R. That makes the frictional force anything from -F/3 to +F.

ehild said:
The friction is zero if the applied force is zero and the cylinder rolls with constant velocity (and angular velocity)
Yes, but not only if. In the context of the OP, it will be zero if F is applied at height 3R/2 from the ground.

You are right, it can be zero also in special cases: in this problem, when F is applied at the height 3R/2. But in case of a free rolling object, the static friction is zero. (Of course, it will not roll forever, as there is also the rolling resistance.)

The statement of the OP

Because during pure rolling contact point does not slip. Hence friction is zero.
is wrong.

Correctly: "During pure rolling, the contact point does not slip. Hence friction is static."

ehild

ehild said:
You are right, it can be zero also in special cases: in this problem, when F is applied at the height 3R/2. But in case of a free rolling object, the static friction is zero. (Of course, it will not roll forever, as there is also the rolling resistance.)

The statement of the OP

is wrong.

Correctly: "During pure rolling, the contact point does not slip. Hence friction is static."
ehild

Yes, I got it.

Thank you all for the help.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

The main difference between linear and rotational motion is the direction of the movement. In linear motion, the object moves in a straight line, while in rotational motion, the object moves in a circular path around a fixed point.

3. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using angular velocity, which is the rate of change of the angle of rotation with respect to time, and angular acceleration, which is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time.

4. What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity and angular velocity are related by the radius of rotation. The linear velocity of a point on the edge of a rotating object is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of rotation.

5. How do you calculate rotational motion problems?

To solve rotational motion problems, you can use equations such as Newton's second law for rotational motion, which states that the torque applied to an object is equal to the product of the rotational inertia and the angular acceleration. You can also use conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied.