Rotational Motion Problem - 7

In summary: It is not only rotating about the centre of the hoop, but also moving forwards with the hoop. In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of choosing a fixed reference point when conserving angular momentum in order to get accurate results. The participants also explore different options for reference points and explain how the angular momentum of the system can be calculated using the center of mass and the chosen reference point.
coldblood
Hi friends,
Please help me in solving this problem, I'll appreciate the help.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/575434_1461727284054377_268945819_n.jpg

Attempt -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1501673_1461727677387671_1024341158_n.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
As with your problem 4, choose a fixed reference point for angular momentum.

haruspex said:

haruspex: Can you please tell me why it is important to take any external reference point while conserving angular momentum?

coldblood said:
haruspex: Can you please tell me why it is important to take any external reference point while conserving angular momentum?
If your reference point can accelerate then that clearly has the potential to give a wrong result. Consider a bar floating in space, struck perpendicularly at one end. If we take the point of the bar that was struck as the reference point, the impulse has no moment about that point, so the bar should acquire no angular momentum about it. But from the perspective of that end of the bar, just after impact, the entire of the rest of the bar is rotating about it (in the opposite direction to the impulse).
If, instead, we use the fixed point in space where that end of the bar had been, we find that the part of the bar near that point acquires a moment one way, but the far end of the bar acquires an opposing moment, the two cancelling out.

haruspex said:
If your reference point can accelerate then that clearly has the potential to give a wrong result. Consider a bar floating in space, struck perpendicularly at one end. If we take the point of the bar that was struck as the reference point, the impulse has no moment about that point, so the bar should acquire no angular momentum about it. But from the perspective of that end of the bar, just after impact, the entire of the rest of the bar is rotating about it (in the opposite direction to the impulse).
If, instead, we use the fixed point in space where that end of the bar had been, we find that the part of the bar near that point acquires a moment one way, but the far end of the bar acquires an opposing moment, the two cancelling out.

Ok, first let me clear Problem - 4 and all the things behind that, then I'll again try to solve this problem. For any confusion beyond that, I'll again come to you. Thanks a lot in advance.

coldblood said:
Ok, first let me clear Problem - 4 and all the things behind that, then I'll again try to solve this problem. For any confusion beyond that, I'll again come to you. Thanks a lot in advance.

Please don't mind

haruspex said:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1480736_1462448153982290_1020254380_n.jpg
In this case if I take the reference point A, which is momentary at rest after collision,

Conserving angular momentum, mv(2R) = [2MR2(ring) + MR2(particle)] ω

Which gives the result, ω = 2v/3R

Still not the correct one.

coldblood said:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1480736_1462448153982290_1020254380_n.jpg
In this case if I take the reference point A, which is momentary at rest after collision,
Looks like you mean that point of the hoop/loop. How can you be sure that any point of the hoop is momentarily at rest after the collision? Try taking a point fixed in the plane. I would try the point where the hoop's centre was when at rest.

haruspex said:
I would try the point where the hoop's centre was when at rest.

I think that point would be point C, the centre of line AB. And if i'll conserve angular momentum then post 1 again comes in front of me.

Can you calculate the new Center of Mass of the system ,after the bullet gets embedded in the loop ?

You may consider any fixed point in the plane .Two good choices are 1) center of the loop 2) new position of the center of mass in the plane . Both will yield correct answer .

Another thing you need to remember is that - The angular momentum of the system(bullet+loop) about a fixed point,say C, is the sum of angular momentum of the CM about C + angular momentum of the system around the CM

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
coldblood said:
I think that point would be point C, the centre of line AB. And if i'll conserve angular momentum then post 1 again comes in front of me.
In the OP, you took moments about the centre of the hoop as it moved. Taking instead a fixed point, the angular momentum of the particle will be greater. It is not only rotating about the centre of the hoop, but also moving forwards with the hoop.

Tanya Sharma said:
Can you calculate the new Center of Mass of the system ,after the bullet gets embedded in the loop ?

Yes it will be at the distance R/2 from the centre of the loop.

haruspex said:
In the OP, you took moments about the centre of the hoop as it moved. Taking instead a fixed point, the angular momentum of the particle will be greater. It is not only rotating about the centre of the hoop, but also moving forwards with the hoop.

So, will this be the right approach?

conserving linear momentum,

m(v) = 2m v' => v' = v/2

conserving angular momentum about centre of the loop,

mv(R) = mR2(loop) + {mR2(particle)}. ω + (2m). (v/2).(R/2)(particle +loop com)
it gives the answer, ω = v/4R

Tanya Sharma said:

You may consider any fixed point in the plane .Two good choices are 1) center of the loop 2) new position of the center of mass in the plane . Both will yield correct answer .

Another thing you need to remember is that - The angular momentum of the system(bullet+loop) about a fixed point,say C, is the sum of angular momentum of the CM about C + angular momentum of the system around the CM

haruspex said:

m(v) = 2m v' => v' = v/2

coldblood said:

m(v) = 2m v' => v' = v/2

Now I got where I was doing mistake.

m(v) = 2m v' => v' = v/2

mv(R/2) = mR2 + m(R2)/4(loop) + {mR2/4(particle)}. ω + (m). (v/2).(R/2) - (m). (v/2).(R/2)(particle +loop com)
it gives the answer, ω = v/3R

coldblood said:
Now I got where I was doing mistake.

m(v) = 2m v' => v' = v/2

mv(R/2) = mR2 + m(R2)/4(loop) + {mR2/4(particle)}. ω + (m). (v/2).(R/2) - (m). (v/2).(R/2)(particle +loop com)
it gives the answer, ω = v/3R

Why mv(R/2) in the LHS ? Shouldn't the angular momentum of the bullet about the center of the loop be mvR ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Why mv(R/2) in the LHS ? Shouldn't the angular momentum of the bullet about the center of the loop be mvR ?

I conserve A.m. about the center of mass of the system.

coldblood said:
I conserve A.m. about the center of mass of the system.
You can also do it about the point where the centre of the hoop started:
initial moment of particle = mvr
final moment of hoop = mr2ω
final linear velocity of system = v/2
final moment of particle = mr2ω + (mv/2)r
The particle has moment mr2ω in consequence of the hoop's rotation, and another (mv/2)r on account of the linear motion of the system.
mvr = (mv/2)r + 2mr2ω

haruspex said:
The particle has moment mr2ω in consequence of the hoop's rotation, and another (mv/2)r on account of the linear motion of the system.
mvr = (mv/2)r + 2mr2ω

But this will give the answer ω = v/ 4r, and answer is v/ 3r

Last edited:
haruspex said:
mvr = (mv/2)r + 2mr2ω

You have used MI of the system about the center of the hoop ,whereas it should be MI about the new CM .

The item in red should mvr= 2m(v/2)(r/2) + (3/2)mr2ω

Tanya Sharma said:
You have used MI of the system about the center of the hoop ,whereas it should be MI about the new CM .
No, I was taking moments about the fixed point where the centre of the hoop had been. That is entirely valid. But I did make a mistake. I took the linear velocity of the hoop to be v/2, but it isn't.
If the linear velocity of the hoop after impact is v' then by conservation of linear momentum:
mv = mv' (hoop) + m(v'+ωr) (bullet)
And moments about the old centre of hoop is as I wrote:
mvr = m(r2ω + v'r) (bullet) + mr2ω (hoop)
Giving ω = v/3r.

haruspex said:
No, I was taking moments about the fixed point where the centre of the hoop had been. That is entirely valid. But I did make a mistake. I took the linear velocity of the hoop to be v/2, but it isn't.
If the linear velocity of the hoop after impact is v' then by conservation of linear momentum:
mv = mv' (hoop) + m(v'+ωr) (bullet)
And moments about the old centre of hoop is as I wrote:
mvr = m(r2ω + v'r) (bullet) + mr2ω (hoop)
Giving ω = v/3r.

That means when I was conserving linear momentum, it was giving the answer as v'(hoop + bullet) = v/2, which was wrong but giving the correct answer(coincidence). I took conservation of linear momentum in wrong manner. This is the best approach.
What do you say Tanya?

coldblood said:
That means when I was conserving linear momentum, it was giving the answer as v'(hoop + bullet) = v/2, which was wrong but giving the correct answer(coincidence). I took conservation of linear momentum in wrong manner. This is the best approach.
What do you say Tanya?

v' = v/2 is correct (v' is the velocity of center of mass of hoop+bullet after the collision) .

I think haruspex is using v' for the velocity of the hoop .So although there is a slight difference in the approach ,both are yielding correct results .

Tanya Sharma said:
v' = v/2 is correct (v' is the velocity of center of mass of hoop+bullet after the collision) .

I think haruspex is using v' for the velocity of the hoop .So although there is a slight difference in the approach ,both are yielding correct results .
That's right, my v' is different from that in the OP. Thanks.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point.

2. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, measured in radians per second.

3. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of the object.

4. How can you calculate the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object along a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, they are perpendicular to each other.