Why Does the Denominator Include mR^2 in the Angular Acceleration Formula?

In summary, the angular acceleration expression in terms of M, I, R, and theta is a = Rmgsin(theta) over I + mR^2. The additional term of mR^2 in the denominator comes from the torque equation for the pulley, where the torque is equal to the tension (T) multiplied by the radius (R) of the pulley. This additional term takes into account the rotational inertia of the pulley itself.
physics noob
A mass (m) is connected to a pulley (rotational inertia I and radius R) which sits atop an incline with angle theta find an expression for angular acceleration in terms of M I R and theta... incline is frictionless

using T= aI

i get Rmgsin(theta) = aI so a = Rmgsin(theta) over I

but alas this isn't correct and I am not sure why

the correct answer has the same numerator but the denominator is I + mR^2 where is the mR^2 coming from? THANKS for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing the FBD of the mass, it is seen that the force acting down the plane is mgSin(Theta) and the force acting up the plane is Tension(T). From Newton's second law,

mgSin(Theta)-T=ma.

and drawing the FBD of the pulley, The torque about the center of the pulley is due to the Tension of the rope only. So,

RT=I(alpha)

also,
a=R(alpha) [Can you see why this is so?]
From these three equations solve for alpha.

!The correct answer takes into account the moment of inertia of the mass connected to the pulley. In rotational motion, the moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In this case, the mass attached to the pulley also has a moment of inertia, which is represented by the term mR^2 in the denominator. This term is necessary to accurately calculate the angular acceleration of the system.

To understand why this term is included, let's look at the equation for rotational motion:

τ = Iα

Where τ is the torque applied to an object, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. In this case, the torque is provided by the force of gravity acting on the mass, and the angle of the incline affects the direction and magnitude of this torque.

When we solve for α, we get:

α = τ/I

So, in order to accurately calculate the angular acceleration, we need to know both the torque and the moment of inertia. The torque is given by Rmgsin(theta), but we also need to consider the moment of inertia of the mass attached to the pulley, which is represented by mR^2.

Therefore, the correct expression for angular acceleration is:

a = Rmgsin(theta) / (I + mR^2)

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is characterized by the object's rotation or spinning.

2. How do I solve a rotational motion problem?

To solve a rotational motion problem, you will need to use the equations of rotational motion, which include angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque. You will also need to consider the moment of inertia and the conservation of angular momentum.

3. What are some common examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, and the rotation of the Earth around its axis.

4. What is the difference between rotational and linear motion?

Rotational motion involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object's position is described by an angle, while in linear motion, the position is described by a distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational motion?

Rotational motion has many practical applications, including the operation of machinery and vehicles, such as car engines and helicopter rotors. It also plays a crucial role in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, and in scientific fields like astronomy and meteorology.