1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion problem

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    I figured out the first part of the problem below, but I haven't been able to solve the second part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I have so far:

I solved for angular acceleration with alpha = v / r1 * t. I got 92.2 rad / s^2.

But, I'm not sure how to go about finding the force required of the triceps...any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2
    I think it wants you to look at it as if it were a lever, 2.5cm on one side, 31cm on the other side. If you calculate the mechanical advantage, you will be able to get the force, I believe.

EDIT: Is that in the Giancoli Physics text? If so, what page is that on?

4. Mar 30, 2006 #3
    Thank you. Unfortunately we have not discussed levers yet and are just in the middle stages of torque. Mechanical advantage is in the next chapter, I think.

Yes, it is Giancoli (Sixth) page 221.

5. Mar 30, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The triceps muscle applies a torque [itex]\tau[/itex] to the forearm. How is this related to the angular acceleration, [itex]\alpha[/itex], of the forearm and ball?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?