How far does an airliner wheel slip before rolling without slipping?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of how the wheels of a landing airliner initially slide on the runway before rolling without slipping. Using given data, the speaker calculates the distance the wheel of an airliner slips before rolling without slipping and explains their solution process. However, they make a mistake by confusing angular displacement of a point on the wheel with the displacement of the airliner itself. The correct answer is 1.6 m, not 0.772 m.
bowma166

Homework Statement

When the wheels of a landing airliner tough the runway, they are not rotating initially. The wheels first slide on the runway (and produc eclouds of smoke and burn marks on the runway, which you may have noticed), until the sliding friction force has accelerated the wheels to the rotational speed required for rolling without slipping. From the following data, calculate how far the wheel of an airliner slips before it begins to roll without slipping: the wheel has a radius of 0.60 m and a mass of 160 kg, the normal force acting on the wheel is 2.0 x 105 N, the speed of the airliner is 200 km/h, and the coefficient of sliding friction for the wheel on the runway is 0.80. Treat the wheel as a uniform disk.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{F}\times\vec{R}[/tex]

[tex]|\tau|=I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]F_{friction}=\mu_{k}N[/tex]

[tex]I_{disk}=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex]

[tex]a=\alpha R[/tex]

[tex]v^{2}=v_{0}^{2}+2ax[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, it's a wheel with a force applied at one point that creates a torque up to a certain acceleration. So... I started with [itex]\tau=RF=I\alpha[/itex], substituted in for I, alpha, and F, and solved for a:
[tex]R\mu_{k}N=\left(\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}\right)\left(\frac{a}{R}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{k}N=\frac{1}{2}Ma[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2\mu_{k}N}{M}=a[/tex]

I then substituted that value of a into the v2=whatever kinematics equation:

[tex]v^{2}=v_{0}^{2}+2\left(\frac{2\mu_{k}N}{M}\right)x[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{Mv^{2}}{4\mu_{k}N}[/tex]

Plugging in the given values, I get x = .772 m. The book says that the answer is 1.6 m. What am I doing wrong? It is kind of weird that they give you R but I didn't have to use it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas? (Sorry for bumping so early like this but I need to sleep soon and I've got a test tomorrow. Heh.)

You're confusing angular displacement of a point on the wheel and the displacement of the airliner. The 'x' you solved for, therefore, is the tangential distance traveled by a point on the wheel, nothing to do with how far the airliner itself moves.

Oh, whoops. Thanks.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is a type of motion in which an object rotates or spins around an axis. This axis can be stationary or moving, and the object can rotate at a constant speed or with varying speeds.

2. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the Earth rotating on its axis, a spinning top, a spinning wheel on a car, and a rotating fan.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves an object rotating around an axis, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion involves angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while linear motion involves displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is usually measured in radians per second and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

5. How do you solve rotational motion problems?

To solve rotational motion problems, you need to use the equations and principles of rotational motion, such as Newton's second law for rotation, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. It is also important to properly define the axis of rotation and consider the moments of inertia of the objects involved.