Solving a Rotational Motion Problem: Finding Acceleration of Two Blocks

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the magnitude of acceleration for two blocks connected by a rope over a pulley. The approach to solving the problem involves considering the forces acting on each block and the pulley, as well as the moment of inertia and the assumption that the rope does not slip. The equation used to solve for acceleration is simplified by canceling out terms and plugging in values, resulting in a final acceleration of 7.65 m/s^2. The conversation ends with a question about the direction of positive torques and angular acceleration and its relationship to the positive value for linear acceleration.
bona0002
Hey guys,

So, I'm kinda distraught over this problem because, by all accounts, I should be able to get the problem no sweat. However, it just hasn't been happening. If you could point out my flaw, I would truly appreciate it!

In the problem, we are asked to find the magnitude of the acceleration of the two blocks. This is how I approached it:

For block m_1_, the forces acting upon it are:

ƩF_x_ = T_1_ - (μ_k_)(N_1_) = m_1_a (Obviously, because the frictional force opposes the motion of the tension.)
ƩF_y_ = N_1_ - m_1_g = 0

For block m_2_, the forces acting upon it are:

ƩF_x_ = -T_2_ - (μ_k_)(N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ) = m_2_a
ƩF_y_ = N_2_ - (m_2_)(g)(cos θ) = 0

Finally, for the pulley:

Ʃtorques (couldn't find the symbol) = (I)(α)

Now, assuming that the rope doesn't slip, α = a/r. Also, the moment of inertia = (1/2)MR^2

With all this information in mind, the equation to solve for a:

T_1_R - T_2_R = (I)(α)
= (μ_k_*N_1_ + m_1_*a)(R) - (-μ_k_*N_2_ + m_2_*g*sin θ - m_2_*a)(R) = ((1/2)MR^2)(a/R)

On the left side of the equation, the R in the numerator can cancel with the R in the denominator. In addition, an R can be factored out of the equation on the left side and can cancel with the remaining R on the right side. Now, the equation becomes:

(μ_k_*N_1_) + (m_1_*a) + (μ_k_*N_2_) - (m_2_)(g)(sin θ) + (m_2_*a) = (1/2)Ma

= (m_1_*a) + (m_2_*a) - (1/2)Ma = - (μ_k_*N_1_) - (μ_k_*N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ)

=a(m_1_ + m_2_ - (1/2)M) = - (μ_k_*N_1_) - (μ_k_*N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ)

=a = (- (μ_k_*N_1_) - (μ_k_*N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ)) / ((m_1_ + m_2_ - (1/2)M))

So, after plugging in all the values, I arrive at 7.65 m/s^2. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Chapter 10 Homework - Google Chrome_2013-03-28_22-22-54.png
    Chapter 10 Homework - Google Chrome_2013-03-28_22-22-54.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
bona0002 said:
Ʃtorques (couldn't find the symbol) = (I)(α)

Now, assuming that the rope doesn't slip, α = a/r.

T_1_R - T_2_R = (I)(α)

What did you choose for the positive direction of your torques and angular acceleration? Does your choice of direction for positive angular acceleration correspond with a positive value for the linear acceleration?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation. It is different from linear motion, which is the movement of an object in a straight line.

2. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the spinning of a top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the movement of a Ferris wheel.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves circular movement around a fixed point, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion is described using angular quantities such as angular velocity and angular acceleration, while linear motion is described using linear quantities such as velocity and acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between rotational motion and torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Therefore, rotational motion and torque are closely related, as torque is responsible for changing the rotation of an object.

5. How can rotational motion problems be solved?

To solve rotational motion problems, one can use the equations of rotational kinematics, which relate angular velocity, angular acceleration, and time. Additionally, the principles of conservation of angular momentum and energy can also be used to solve more complex rotational motion problems.