1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion problem

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

So, I'm kinda distraught over this problem because, by all accounts, I should be able to get the problem no sweat. However, it just hasn't been happening. If you could point out my flaw, I would truly appreciate it!

In the problem, we are asked to find the magnitude of the acceleration of the two blocks. This is how I approached it:

For block m_1_, the forces acting upon it are:

ƩF_x_ = T_1_ - (μ_k_)(N_1_) = m_1_a (Obviously, because the frictional force opposes the motion of the tension.)
    ƩF_y_ = N_1_ - m_1_g = 0

For block m_2_, the forces acting upon it are:

ƩF_x_ = -T_2_ - (μ_k_)(N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ) = m_2_a
    ƩF_y_ = N_2_ - (m_2_)(g)(cos θ) = 0

Finally, for the pulley:

Ʃtorques (couldn't find the symbol) = (I)(α)

Now, assuming that the rope doesn't slip, α = a/r. Also, the moment of inertia = (1/2)MR^2

With all this information in mind, the equation to solve for a:

T_1_R - T_2_R = (I)(α)
    = (μ_k_*N_1_ + m_1_*a)(R) - (-μ_k_*N_2_ + m_2_*g*sin θ - m_2_*a)(R) = ((1/2)MR^2)(a/R)

On the left side of the equation, the R in the numerator can cancel with the R in the denominator. In addition, an R can be factored out of the equation on the left side and can cancel with the remaining R on the right side. Now, the equation becomes:

(μ_k_*N_1_) + (m_1_*a) + (μ_k_*N_2_) - (m_2_)(g)(sin θ) + (m_2_*a) = (1/2)Ma

= (m_1_*a) + (m_2_*a) - (1/2)Ma = - (μ_k_*N_1_) - (μ_k_*N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ)

=a(m_1_ + m_2_ - (1/2)M) = - (μ_k_*N_1_) - (μ_k_*N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ)

=a = (- (μ_k_*N_1_) - (μ_k_*N_2_) + (m_2_)(g)(sin θ)) / ((m_1_ + m_2_ - (1/2)M))

So, after plugging in all the values, I arrive at 7.65 m/s^2. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you choose for the positive direction of your torques and angular acceleration? Does your choice of direction for positive angular acceleration correspond with a positive value for the linear acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted