1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion Question - please help

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    Rotational Motion Question -- please help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the energy stored in the rotational motion of a hurricane. Model the hurricane as a uniform cylinder 300 km and 5 km high, made of air whose mass is 1.3 kg/m^3. Estimate the outer edge of the hurricane to move at a speed of 200 km/h.

2. Relevant equations

KE = (1/2)*I*w^2

v= wR

For a uniform cylinder, I=(1/2)MR^2 (but it's hollow so would that make a difference, even though you're only given one radius)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So here's how I started out:

KE = (1/2)*I*w^2

v= wR

--> Therefore KE = (1/2)[(1/2)MR^2][v/R]^2

The answer is 4E17 J, but I can't seem to get that. Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong? I've been doing this problem for so long and I'm just not getting what I keep doing wrong. I feel like it might have something to do with the mass I'm using (M=1.3 kg/m^3) or the fact that I'm neglecting the height (h=5km)? It's not supposed to be a difficult problem...please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What you're given is not a "mass" of air - it's the density of air. Units are mass per unit volume.

What's the volume of a cylinder? Hence, what is its mass? Work in symbols throughout (try to use LaTex, if possible), as there's less chance of error.

You definitely need the height that's given. Also, I'm assuming that 300km is the diameter, not the radius?

4. Dec 2, 2013 #3
    Yeah I just figured it out actually thanks soooo much!!!

5. Dec 2, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No problem. Glad to help (if I did).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted