1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion question

1. May 20, 2008 #1

I'm studying the chapter on rotational motion, and I have a problem that I don't have a clue how to solve, the problem is this: A spool of wire of mass M and radius R is unwound under a constant force F. (F is parallel to the ground) Assuming the spool is a uniform solid cylinder that doesn't slip, show that (a) the acceleration of the center of mass is 4F/3M, and (b) the force of friction is to the right, (same direction as F) and equal in magnitude to F/3.

(b) is the part I really don't have a clue on, can anyone help me solve this problem?

thanks in advance,

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    Well you should show work but it's very simple-- use Newton's 2nd Law to solve (b). You know the acceleration and thus the net force which must be the sum of F and f.
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?