Does Rotating an Object Absorb Energy?

In summary, rotating an object absorbs some of the energy put into it and the amount of energy transferred is proportional to the rotational kinetic energy of the object.
AliensRule77
I took physics in school, but our class kind of skipped over rotational motion, so I was just reading about it myself. I was wondering about whether rotating an object absorbed some of the energy put into it and, if so, how to calculate how much is transferred to the rotation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything that happens in rotational motion is analogous to what can happen in linear motion. You can have conservation of angular momentum just like conservation of linear momentum. You can angularly accelerate an object by applying a force just like you can linearly accelerate an object. When you apply a force F to an object you do work on it and give it kinetic energy.

Ok so then the angular momentum and linear momentum both work similarily but don't affect each other directly? Or am I wrong?

AliensRule77 said:
Ok so then the angular momentum and linear momentum both work similarily but don't affect each other directly? Or am I wrong?

When objects move we use linear motion. When objects rotate about axes, we use angular motion.

Linear quantities are usally defined in terms of distance whereas angular quantities are usually defined in terms of angles, whose fundamental measure is the radian. The radian is a fundamental unit of angles just like the meter is for length. On a most fundamental level these two quantities have no relation to each other.

All the angular quantities therefore have their own equations of motion completely independent of the equations of the ones of linear motion.

Mass, Momentum, forces and energy is a different story.
The angular version of these quantities is heavily dependent on the linear version. In fact the angular version of these quantities is usually the sum of all the linear components of the various rotating particles. The rotational kinetic energy is the sum of the translational kinetic energy of each individual mass element involved in the rotation. Same thing for momentum, mass and force. Rotational work is the work done by the tangential force, not the centripetal force etc...

Ok thank you, I think I understand it now.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion can occur in various forms, such as spinning, rolling, or orbiting.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. In linear motion, all parts of the object move the same distance in the same direction, whereas in rotational motion, different parts of the object move at different distances and speeds.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is a force that causes rotational motion. It is the product of a force and the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of the object.

5. How can rotational motion be calculated and measured?

Rotational motion can be calculated using equations such as Newton's second law for rotational motion and the equations for angular velocity and acceleration. It can also be measured using tools such as a protractor, ruler, and rotational motion sensors.