1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion Question

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please see the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Please see the attachment. When I tried to solve the equations for a I got a different answer and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Please let me know if you cannot follow my work. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Illegal algebra cancellation.

[tex]\frac{MR^2}{2}\frac{a}{r}=(F_T)\,r[/tex]

In the above equation, you cancelled r on the left side with r on the right side.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    oh that's embarrassing thanks

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4
    Don't be embarrassed by it. Arithmetic and algebraic mistakes just plumb happen even to the best of us. I've had a professor who was the chair of my university's physics department and who performs nuclear physics experiments (specifically with lead nuclei, IIRC) at the LHC, and on occasion he made algebra errors when demonstrating examples on the board. Just go through stuff more slowly and carefully, and you should minimize the number of those mistakes that you make. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook