How Does a Potter Stop a Rotating Wheel Using Friction?

• Thread starter mirandasatterley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, the potter can stop the wheel in 6s by pressing a rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 70N. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the rag is 0.5.
mirandasatterley

Homework Statement

A potter's wheel - A thick stone disk of radius 0.5m and mass 100kg is freely rotating at 50rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 6s by pressing a rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 70N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the rag.

Homework Equations

torque = RF
Torque = I(moment of inertia) x radial acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of forces on the x axis: F(applied) - F(normal) = 0
F(applied) = F(normal)
The froce of friction is on the y-axis and is opposite to the direction the wheel turns, and F(friction) = (coefficient of friction)F(normal)

Sum of forces on the y axis: I'm not sure what other force opposes the frictional force. Normally I would have thought F(friction) = ma, but it is not a particle that we are looking at, so I'm a little confused.

And for the sum of the forces for torque, i know Torque = I(angular acceleration). Fir this i think I= 1/2 MR^2, and I can find angular acceleration with angular speed(final) = angular speed(initial) + angular acceleration X t.

I'm also not sure what forces affect torque.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your nearly there. Basically, the friction from the rag is the torque, you know how long it takes the wheel to stop and its initial angular velocity and therefore you can work out the angular acceleration. From this you can work out the applied torque, and hence the frictional force; from which you can calculate the coefficient of friction.

So, i find the angular acceleration, using:
final angular speed = initial angular speed + (angular acceleration)t

Then, I use the angular acceleration to find the frictional force by:
torque = RF(friction) and torque = I x (angular acceleration), therefore,
RF(friction) = I x angular acceleration.

Finally I use F(friction) = coefficient x F(normal), where F(normal) = F(applied), and I solve for the coefficient of friction.

Is this what I need to do?
Thanks a lot for all your help.

mirandasatterley said:
So, i find the angular acceleration, using:
final angular speed = initial angular speed + (angular acceleration)t

Then, I use the angular acceleration to find the frictional force by:
torque = RF(friction) and torque = I x (angular acceleration), therefore,
RF(friction) = I x angular acceleration.

Finally I use F(friction) = coefficient x F(normal), where F(normal) = F(applied), and I solve for the coefficient of friction.

Is this what I need to do?
That's exactly what you need to do :approve:
mirandasatterley said:
Thanks a lot for all your help.
Twas a pleasure

What is rotational motion/torque?

Rotational motion, also known as circular motion, refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. Torque is a measure of the rotational force that causes an object to rotate.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion refers to movement in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to circular movement around an axis. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, the velocity and acceleration are perpendicular to each other.

How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect rotational motion/torque?

The factors that affect rotational motion and torque include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the mass and shape of the object. Friction and air resistance can also affect rotational motion and torque.

What are some real-life examples of rotational motion/torque?

Some examples of rotational motion and torque in everyday life include the rotation of a wheel on a bike, the spinning of a top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the turning of a steering wheel. Torque is also used in machines such as car engines, drills, and wind turbines.