1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion

1. Dec 12, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheel decellerates from 100 rpm in 10 sec. Find angular acceleration, torque and the force torque is producing on a fixed object.
    The wheel has a radius of .0025m and a mass of 50kg.

2. Relevant equations
    T=Ia
    a=ra
    T=dL/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I did was change rpm to rad/sec which gave me 10.5 rad/sec.
    for angular acceleration i used: a=ra-> .0025*10.5/10 which gave me
    a=.002625 rad/sec^2.
    For torque i used 1/2*50*.0025^2*1.05 which gave me .00016 kgm^2.
    I am not sure where to go with this now, or even if I am headed in the right direction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have not correctly found the angular acceleration. The definition of angular acceleration is;

[tex]\alpha = \frac{d\omega}{dt}[/tex]

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3
    wouldn't the dw in this case just be the 10.5 rad/sec divided by 10(then number of seconds it takes for the wheel to stop?

5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you mean:
    [tex]a = r \alpha[/tex]
    This relates angular acceleration to linear acceleration.
    OK.
    You are mixing up angular and linear acceleration. All you need is angular acceleration.

6. Dec 12, 2006 #5
    yes, your formula for acceleration is the one i meant. I understand that dw/dt is angular acceleration, so do i just not multiply by the radius? I am very confused here.

7. Dec 12, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Correct. You would only multiply by the radius if you needed the linear acceleration (units: m/s^2) of a point on the rim of the wheel.

8. Dec 12, 2006 #7
    ok so now that i know torque of the wheel is .00016kgm^2 and angular acceleration is 1.05 rad/sec^2. How do i figure out what the force is that the torque of the wheel is producing on a fixed object, say someone's head for example?

9. Dec 12, 2006 #8

Doc Al

If you assume that the torque is created by a force applied tangentially to the edge of the wheel, what force is required to generate that torque? (What's the definition of torque?)

10. Dec 12, 2006 #9
    Torque = R xF or Torque = I alpha or Torque = dL/dt.
    I understand that these are the formulas for torque, I am just not sure which one I am supposed to use.

11. Dec 12, 2006 #10
    I decided to try T=R x F. What I got was that the torque of the wheel is equal to the radius times the unknown F times the sin90.

.00016=.0025F

F=.064N
    Does this look right to you?

12. Dec 12, 2006 #11

Doc Al

Well, what are you trying to find? Which formula relates to that quantity?

13. Dec 12, 2006 #12
    I am trying to find the force the torque exerts on the object The formula I used was Torque = R x F.

14. Dec 12, 2006 #13

Doc Al

Wise choice, since that's the only one that has force in it. :wink:

Looks OK to me.

15. Dec 12, 2006 #14
    Great thank you so much for all your help. :0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?