Solve Rotational Motion: Angular Acceleration, Torque & Force

In summary, the homework statement is that a wheel decellerates from 100 rpm in 10 sec. The wheel has a radius of .0025m and a mass of 50kg. For angular acceleration, the wheel decellerates from 100 rpm in .002625 rad/sec^2. For torque, the wheel has a torque of .00016 kgm^2. The Attempt at a Solution states that the first thing I did was change rpm to rad/sec which gave me 10.5 rad/sec. I then used a=ra to find a=.002625 rad/sec^2. I am not sure where to go from here, or if I am headed in the right direction. Any
tupldy

Homework Statement

A wheel decellerates from 100 rpm in 10 sec. Find angular acceleration, torque and the force torque is producing on a fixed object.
The wheel has a radius of .0025m and a mass of 50kg.

Homework Equations

T=Ia
a=ra
T=dL/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was change rpm to rad/sec which gave me 10.5 rad/sec.
for angular acceleration i used: a=ra-> .0025*10.5/10 which gave me
a=.002625 rad/sec^2.
For torque i used 1/2*50*.0025^2*1.05 which gave me .00016 kgm^2.
I am not sure where to go with this now, or even if I am headed in the right direction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not correctly found the angular acceleration. The definition of angular acceleration is;

[tex]\alpha = \frac{d\omega}{dt}[/tex]

wouldn't the dw in this case just be the 10.5 rad/sec divided by 10(then number of seconds it takes for the wheel to stop?

tupldy said:
a=ra
I assume you mean:
[tex]a = r \alpha[/tex]
This relates angular acceleration to linear acceleration.
The first thing I did was change rpm to rad/sec which gave me 10.5 rad/sec.
OK.
for angular acceleration i used: a=ra-> .0025*10.5/10 which gave me
a=.002625 rad/sec^2.
You are mixing up angular and linear acceleration. All you need is angular acceleration.

yes, your formula for acceleration is the one i meant. I understand that dw/dt is angular acceleration, so do i just not multiply by the radius? I am very confused here.

tupldy said:
I understand that dw/dt is angular acceleration, so do i just not multiply by the radius?
Correct. You would only multiply by the radius if you needed the linear acceleration (units: m/s^2) of a point on the rim of the wheel.

ok so now that i know torque of the wheel is .00016kgm^2 and angular acceleration is 1.05 rad/sec^2. How do i figure out what the force is that the torque of the wheel is producing on a fixed object, say someone's head for example?

If you assume that the torque is created by a force applied tangentially to the edge of the wheel, what force is required to generate that torque? (What's the definition of torque?)

Torque = R xF or Torque = I alpha or Torque = dL/dt.
I understand that these are the formulas for torque, I am just not sure which one I am supposed to use.

I decided to try T=R x F. What I got was that the torque of the wheel is equal to the radius times the unknown F times the sin90.

.00016=.0025F

F=.064N
Does this look right to you?

Well, what are you trying to find? Which formula relates to that quantity?

I am trying to find the force the torque exerts on the object The formula I used was Torque = R x F.

tupldy said:
I decided to try T=R x F.
Wise choice, since that's the only one that has force in it. :wink:

What I got was that the torque of the wheel is equal to the radius times the unknown F times the sin90.

.00016=.0025F

F=.064N
Does this look right to you?
Looks OK to me.

Great thank you so much for all your help. :0)

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is characterized by the object's rotation or spinning.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

3. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is responsible for causing rotational motion. It is defined as the product of a force and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to torque and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia. This means that increasing torque or decreasing moment of inertia will result in a higher angular acceleration.

5. How can I calculate the force required to achieve a certain angular acceleration?

The force required to achieve a certain angular acceleration can be calculated using the equation torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for force: force = torque / distance from axis of rotation.