1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid sphere with mass "m" and radius "r", slides (without rotating) on a frictionless horizontal surface, with speed of V[0].

At time t[0] the sphere roll on a surface with friction "u", at time t[0] the ball is starts rotating as it glides aswell. At time t[1] the ball only rotates.

2. Relevant equations

What is the balls center mass velocity as a function of time, from time t[0] to time t[1].

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been trying to take a look at the balls inertia and torque on the ball from the friction. But the only result I got was that the ball gains speed, an that is nonsence.

Plzz... help this is a homeasignment that comes down on my final grade.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You probably have the torque going in the wrong direction. In any case, consider the translational motion.

Hint: What forces act on the sphere? Note that the sphere is slipping. Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?