Rotational Motion: Understanding Torque, Work & Energy

In summary, There are several online resources available, such as HyperPhysics and Tipler & Mosca textbook, that can help with understanding topics in rotational motion, including torque, work and energy, conservation of angular momentum, and static problems. Additionally, EK has a great series specifically on these topics for a more in-depth understanding.
rwx1606
Does anyone know of any good online sites that explains topics dealing with rotational motion clearly? I'm having trouble understanding my text, so I was just wondering if any of you guys know of anything that can help. I need help understanding things such as torque, work&energy in terms of rotations, conservation of angular momentum, and static problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwx1606 said:
Does anyone know of any good online sites that explains topics dealing with rotational motion clearly? I'm having trouble understanding my text, so I was just wondering if any of you guys know of anything that can help. I need help understanding things such as torque, work&energy in terms of rotations, conservation of angular momentum, and static problems.

Depending on your level of for a basic understanding on most topics in physics look maybe at hyperphysics, otherwise most textbooks designed for physicists and engineers will cover these topics in more depth, i personally use Tipler & Mosca.

physics.knowledge,http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

EK

I understand the importance of having a clear understanding of concepts related to rotational motion. I would recommend checking out Khan Academy's website, as they have a section specifically dedicated to rotational motion that covers topics such as torque, work, energy, conservation of angular momentum, and static problems. They have clear and concise explanations, as well as practice problems and videos to aid in understanding. Additionally, MIT OpenCourseWare offers free online courses that cover these topics in depth and may be helpful in supplementing your textbook. I also suggest reaching out to your instructor or a peer for additional clarification and practice problems.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. This type of motion is characterized by the object's rotation or spin.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is defined as the product of force and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

3. How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you multiply the applied force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

4. What is the relationship between torque and work?

Work is defined as the product of force and the distance over which the force is applied. Torque and work are related because torque is a type of force that causes rotational motion, and work is the amount of energy transferred through a force.

5. How does rotational motion relate to energy?

Rotational motion involves the movement of objects, which requires energy. The amount of rotational energy an object has is determined by its mass, velocity, and angular velocity. Rotational motion can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electricity.