Rotational Motion Homework: Angular Momentum and Tension

In summary, during a lab where a weight was attached to a string and wrapped around a wheel, the force of gravity on the weight caused the wheel to turn when released. The questions asked were if the angular momentum of the system was conserved and if the tension in the string was constant. The equations used were torque and angular momentum. It was concluded that the angular momentum may not be conserved due to the acceleration caused by gravity, and the tension in the string is constant because it is equal to the weight of the mass multiplied by 9.8. Further examination of the system and equations of motion are needed to fully understand the tension in the string and its role in allowing the system to move.
bfr

Homework Statement

I did a lab today where a weight was tied to a string. The string was wrapped around part of the circumference of a wheel, and then the end was taped down. So, when I let go of the wheel and the weight, the force of gravity on the weight causes the wheel to turn. I have two questions:

1. Is the angular momentum of the system made up of the wheel and the mass conserved?
2, Is the tension in the string constant?

Homework Equations

|Torque|=|F||r|sin(θ)
Angular momentum=I*[tex]\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think it isn't conserved because the force of gravity acting on the mass accelerates the system, making angular momentum not be conserved.
2. The tension is constant because it equals the mass of the weight times 9.8.

Physics news on Phys.org
You say "the end was taped down." Do you mean the end of the string was taped down? If so, how did this permit the system to move?

With regard to the tension in the string, draw some FBDs and write some equations of motion before you jump to a conclusion here.

I would like to clarify and expand upon the answers provided. First, it is important to understand the concept of angular momentum. Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object and is defined as the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how much an object is rotating and how fast it is rotating.

Now, to answer the first question, the angular momentum of the system made up of the wheel and the mass is conserved. This means that the total angular momentum before and after the weight is released remains the same. This can be explained by the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that in the absence of external torque, the angular momentum of a system remains constant. In this case, the only external torque acting on the system is due to the force of gravity on the weight. However, this torque is balanced by the torque produced by the tension in the string, which we will discuss in the next question.

Moving on to the second question, the tension in the string is not constant. As the weight falls, the tension in the string decreases due to the decrease in the radius of the wheel. This can be seen in the equation provided, where the torque is directly proportional to the radius. As the radius decreases, the torque decreases, and hence the tension decreases. However, as mentioned earlier, the torque due to gravity is balanced by the torque produced by the tension in the string. This means that the tension in the string is always equal to the force of gravity acting on the weight, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2).

In conclusion, the angular momentum of the system is conserved, while the tension in the string is not constant but is equal to the force of gravity acting on the weight. It is important to note that these answers are based on the assumptions that the string and the wheel are massless, and there is no friction between the string and the wheel. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold, and the answers may vary.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the object by its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to tension?

In a system where an object is rotating around an axis, the tension in the string or rope connecting the object to the axis can affect the object's angular momentum. The tension can either increase or decrease the object's angular momentum, depending on the direction of the force.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis.

4. Can angular momentum be conserved?

Yes, angular momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in a closed system where no external forces act on the objects.

5. How does angular momentum affect rotational motion?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in rotational motion as it determines how an object will move or spin. In the absence of external forces, angular momentum will remain constant, and any changes in the object's rotation will be a result of changes in its moment of inertia or angular velocity.