Solving Rotational Motion: Min Force Required for Incline of 30 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in figuring out the minimum force required to roll a 2kg cylinder up an incline using a string. The angle of the incline and the tension of the string are taken into consideration, and the concept of rotational motion is briefly mentioned. The speaker is unsure of where this concept comes into play and how it affects the question.
NoBodyKnows
Having a problem figuring this out; it appears extremely easy but I would understand if rotational motion comes into play. I'm just not sure where.

A cylinder of mass 2kg is rolled up an incline by means of a string arranged as shown in the figure. (incline with angle theta and a cylinder being rolled up with a string designating tention) What is the minimum force T required given that the angle of the incline to the horizontal is 30 degrees?

I break it into components (up the ramp and into the ramp are negative) and can say Fx = sin(theta)mg - T = -max

cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are pulling the cylinder using a string how can the cylinder rotate?

i knooooooooooooo!

If you know then why do you mention rotation motion? How is the question made any simpler if rotation comes into play? What do you mean "I'm just not sure where." ?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis, typically in a circular or curved path.

2. How is the minimum force required for an incline of 30 degrees calculated?

The minimum force required for an incline of 30 degrees can be calculated using the equation F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the minimum force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

3. Why is the minimum force required different for an incline of 30 degrees compared to a flat surface?

The minimum force required is different for an incline of 30 degrees because the force of gravity is acting on the object at an angle, increasing the amount of force needed to overcome it. Additionally, the coefficient of friction may also play a role in the minimum force required on an incline compared to a flat surface.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the minimum force required?

The mass of the object directly affects the minimum force required. As the mass increases, the minimum force required also increases, assuming all other variables such as friction and angle remain constant.

5. Can the minimum force required for an incline of 30 degrees be reduced?

Yes, the minimum force required for an incline of 30 degrees can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of friction or by decreasing the angle of incline. However, it cannot be reduced to zero as some minimum force is always required to overcome the force of gravity.