1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    Having a problem figuring this out; it appears extremely easy but I would understand if rotational motion comes into play. I'm just not sure where.

A cylinder of mass 2kg is rolled up an incline by means of a string arranged as shown in the figure. (incline with angle theta and a cylinder being rolled up with a string designating tention) What is the minimum force T required given that the angle of the incline to the horizontal is 30 degrees?

I break it into components (up the ramp and into the ramp are negative) and can say Fx = sin(theta)mg - T = -max

cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    If you are pulling the cylinder using a string how can the cylinder rotate?

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3
    i knooooooooooooo!

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    If you know then why do you mention rotation motion? How is the question made any simpler if rotation comes into play? What do you mean "I'm just not sure where." ?????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook