Solve Rotational Motion Homework Problem Req. Acceleration 'a

In summary: Good! Here's how I would put it. The static friction produces a torque about the center of mass, causing the cylinder to rotate.In summary, the acceleration 'a' of the supporting surface required to keep the centre G of the circular cylinder in a fixed position during the motion, if there is no slipping between the cylinder and the support will be 2gsin(theta)/5.
zorro

Homework Statement

The acceleration 'a' of the supporting surface required to keep the centre G of the circular cylinder in a fixed position during the motion, if there is no slipping between the cylinder and the support will be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The torque acting about the point of contact of cylinder and surface is equal to the product of angular acceleration and moment of inertia about the point of contact.
observing from the frame of the supporting surface, a pseudo force ma acts up the incline plane.

(mgsin(theta) -ma) x radius=(3mr^2)/2 x a [ I about the point of contact is (3mr^2)/2 ]
on solving, a=2gsin(theta)/5

but the answer is 2gsin(theta).
Please help.

Attachments

• image.JPG
    image.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
observing from the frame of the supporting surface, a pseudo force ma acts up the incline plane.
You have the wrong direction for the pseudo force.

Since the supporting surface is accelerating down the plane, if we observe from this reference frame, a pseudo force -ma acts on the sphere ...i.e. ma is directed up the plane.
Where am I wrong?

Abdul Quadeer said:
Since the supporting surface is accelerating down the plane, if we observe from this reference frame, a pseudo force -ma acts on the sphere ...i.e. ma is directed up the plane.
Where am I wrong?
Why do you think the support surface is accelerating down the plane?

It is understood. To avoid the sphere from rolling down, it must accelerate down the plane.

Abdul Quadeer said:
It is understood. To avoid the sphere from rolling down, it must accelerate down the plane.
Think of it this way. If the surface didn't move, the cylinder would roll down the incline. There's a certain friction force acting up the plane that causes it to roll.

To make the center of gravity stationary, we need to increase that friction force. We do that by pulling the surface upwards, dragging the cylinder surface along. We're not trying to stop the cylinder from rotating, just from translating.

Doc Al said:
There's a certain friction force acting up the plane that causes it to roll.

Which frictional force are you talking about? Is it rolling friction or sliding friction?

And applying your idea, what will be the equation?

Abdul Quadeer said:
Which frictional force are you talking about? Is it rolling friction or sliding friction?
Neither--it's static friction since there is no sliding.
And applying your idea, what will be the equation?
The equation you had is fine. Just correct the direction of the pseudo force.

Doc Al said:
To make the center of gravity stationary, we need to increase that friction force. We do that by pulling the surface upwards, dragging the cylinder surface along. We're not trying to stop the cylinder from rotating, just from translating.

1 thing I wanted to make clear is - Which friction do we increase by pulling the surface upwards- is it rolling friction? If yes, then how can increasing this friction stop the cylinder from translating? And when we're trying to stop the cylinder from translating, does it rotate about the point of contact (fixed)?

Abdul Quadeer said:
1 thing I wanted to make clear is - Which friction do we increase by pulling the surface upwards- is it rolling friction?
No. Rolling friction has nothing to do with this problem. (We're ignoring it.) The friction that makes a ball roll down an incline, instead of just slide, is static friction.
If yes, then how can increasing this friction stop the cylinder from translating? And when we're trying to stop the cylinder from translating, does it rotate about the point of contact (fixed)?
The point of contact of the cylinder is momentarily at rest with respect to surface.

This is what I understood. Tell me if I'm wrong anywhere.

The static frictional force acting up the plane produces a torque about the centre of mass - which causes the cylinder to roll down the plane. When we increase this frictional force by pulling the surface upwards, the tendency of the cylinder to roll down the surface increases but that of sliding down the surface decreases. In a nutshell, the static frictional force is responsible for both translational and rotational motion of the cylinder.

Abdul Quadeer said:
This is what I understood. Tell me if I'm wrong anywhere.

The static frictional force acting up the plane produces a torque about the centre of mass - which causes the cylinder to roll down the plane. When we increase this frictional force by pulling the surface upwards, the tendency of the cylinder to roll down the surface increases but that of sliding down the surface decreases. In a nutshell, the static frictional force is responsible for both translational and rotational motion of the cylinder.
Good! Here's how I would put it. The static friction produces a torque about the center of mass, causing the cylinder to rotate. The net force on the cylinder, a combination of gravity down the incline and friction, produces the translational acceleration of the cylinder. By accelerating the surface upwards, we increase the friction up to the point where it just equals the gravitational force down the incline, making the net force equal to zero.

thanx a lot sir.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is a type of motion that involves both linear and circular movement.

2. What is acceleration in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing over time.

3. How do I calculate acceleration in rotational motion?

To calculate acceleration in rotational motion, you can use the formula a = α * r, where a is the acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the acceleration is measured.

4. What are the units of acceleration in rotational motion?

The units of acceleration in rotational motion are radians per second squared (rad/s^2) or revolutions per second squared (rev/s^2). These units represent the change in angular velocity over time.

5. How is rotational motion related to linear motion?

Rotational motion and linear motion are related through the concept of torque. Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and it is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of the object. This means that a change in linear motion can also cause a change in rotational motion and vice versa.