Rotational Motion Homework: Hoop Rolling on 15 Deg Incline

In summary: So hypotenuse =4.25m and I thought the speed going up would be different than the speed going down because the hoop has an initial velocity going up.In summary, the hoop goes up a ramp at a speed of 3.3 meters per second and it will reach the top of the incline in .74 seconds.
pb23me

Homework Statement

A hoop rolling on a horizontal surface with a speed v=3.3m/s when it reaches a 15 deg incline.How far up the incline does it go?How long will it be on the incline before it reaches the botttom?

Homework Equations

I=mr2
conservation energy going up=2gyf=r2+vi2
conservation energy going down=2gyi=r[itex]\omega[/itex]2+v2
yf=sin(15)
circumference=2r[itex]\pi[/itex]=8.5m

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the conservation of energy equation and solved for r getting r=1.36m. I had my calculator in radian mode not sure what mode i should have had it in. Then i plugged the radius back in and got yf=.65m , sin(15) was also .65m so hypotenuse =1m. Then i used conservation of energy down equation and solved for [iex]\omega[/itex] getting [itex]\omega[/itex]=2rad/s i found how many radians the hoop went through by noting that the hypotenuse was 1m long so 1/8.5(2[itex]\pi[/itex])=.74 rad
so [itex]\omega[/itex]=.74rad/t=.37s

Physics news on Phys.org
pb23me said:
I=mr2
Good.
conservation energy going up=2gyf=r2+vi2
Rethink this. You're missing an ω2. (Check the units of each term.)

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b] i used the conservation of energy equation and solved for r getting r=1.36m.
The radius is not given and could be anything. (That should tip you off that something's wrong with your conservation equation.)

Hint: The hoop is rolling without slipping, so how are v and ω related?

oh ok i forgot to put the[itex]\omega[/itex] in so it should be (r[itex]\omega[/itex])2+v2=2gyf so yf=1.1m and distance up =1.7m I am confused about what mode to have my calculator in? rads or degs?

pb23me said:
oh ok i forgot to put the[itex]\omega[/itex] in so it should be (r[itex]\omega[/itex])2+v2=2gyf so yf=1.1m
Good.
and distance up =1.7m I am confused about what mode to have my calculator in? rads or degs?
Since the angle is given in degrees, use the degree mode.

oh...that makes sense haha

ok so i used the equation 2gyf=r^2+vi^2 solved for yf and got yf=1.1m so sin(15)=1.1/h hypotenuse=.43m I am getting stuck on the last part now,solving for the time.I think i need the radius of the loop but can't seem to figure it out...

pb23me said:
ok so i used the equation 2gyf=r^2+vi^2 solved for yf and got yf=1.1m so sin(15)=1.1/h hypotenuse=.43m
Careful with your arithmetic.
I am getting stuck on the last part now,solving for the time.I think i need the radius of the loop but can't seem to figure it out...
You won't be able to figure out the radius, but luckily its irrelevant. Hint: What's average speed of the hoop as it goes up (or down) the ramp?

Ok hypotenuse =4.25m and I thought the speed going up would be different than the speed going down because the hoop has an initial velocity going up.

Nevermind that the speeds are the same

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is characterized by the circular movement of an object, where each point on the object moves in a circular path at the same time.

2. What is the importance of studying rotational motion?

Studying rotational motion helps us understand the behavior of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It also allows us to analyze and predict the motion of these objects, which is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

3. What is a hoop rolling on a 15-degree incline?

A hoop rolling on a 15-degree incline refers to an object, in this case, a circular hoop, rolling down a surface that is inclined at a 15-degree angle. This type of motion is an example of rotational motion, as the hoop rotates around its center point while moving down the incline.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a hoop rolling on a 15-degree incline?

The rotational motion of a hoop rolling on a 15-degree incline can be affected by several factors, such as the mass of the hoop, the angle of the incline, the surface friction, and the shape and size of the hoop. These factors can impact the speed, acceleration, and stability of the hoop's motion.

5. How can we calculate the rotational motion of a hoop rolling on a 15-degree incline?

To calculate the rotational motion of a hoop rolling on a 15-degree incline, we can use equations from rotational dynamics, such as torque, angular acceleration, and rotational energy. These equations take into account the physical properties of the hoop and the forces acting on it to determine its motion and behavior on the incline.