Rotational Motion: Stop a 10 kg Disk in 20 sec

In summary, a solid disk of mass 10 kg and radius 1 m is spinning at a rate of 20 rad/s around its central axis. To make the disk stop as quickly as possible, a force of 5 N should be applied perpendicular to the radius. The minimum time needed for the disk to stop is 20 seconds.
pradeepk

Homework Statement

A solid disk of mass 10 kg and radius 1 m is spinning around its central
axis at a rate of ω = 20 rad/s. A force of magnitude 5 N is applied to the disk. Recall that the
moment of inertia of a solid disk is I=(1/2)mr^2

(a) Draw the disk and indicate the direction of rotation. Then draw the direction that the force
should be applied to make the disk stop as quickly as possible.
(b) What is the minimum time needed for the disk to stop?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex]= I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\tau[/tex]=Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I said that the disk was moving counterclockwise, and the fastest way to stop it would be to apply a force that is perpendicular to the radius, because that would produce the largest negative torque. Is that correct?

For part b, I solved for I and got 5 kgm2 then I did this:
[tex]\tau[/tex]=I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
Fr=5[tex]\alpha[/tex]
(5N)(1m)=5[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=1rad/2

I then solved for time with the equation:
[tex]\omega[/tex]f=[tex]\omega[/tex]i +[tex]\alpha[/tex]t
0=20rad/s - 1rad/s2(t)
t=20 seconds I don't think this is correct but I'm not sure what else to do. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me!

hi pradeepk! :wink:

all looks fine :smile:

Thanks Guys!

I just thought that 20 seconds was a very long time to make it stop, but I guess 5 Newtons is a very small force

for your help!Your approach for part a is correct. To stop the disk as quickly as possible, the force should be applied perpendicular to the radius of the disk, creating the largest negative torque.

For part b, your initial calculations for the moment of inertia and torque are correct. However, when solving for time, you should use the equation:

\omega_f = \omega_i + \alpha t

Where \omega_f is the final angular velocity (which is 0 in this case), \omega_i is the initial angular velocity (20 rad/s), and \alpha is the angular acceleration (which you have correctly calculated as 1 rad/s^2). Solving for t gives:

t = (\omega_f - \omega_i)/\alpha = (0 - 20 rad/s)/1 rad/s^2 = 20 seconds

So, the minimum time needed for the disk to stop is indeed 20 seconds. Your final answer is correct. Good job!

1. How do you define rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point, causing it to rotate or spin.

2. What is the formula for rotational motion?

The formula for rotational motion is torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration. In this case, the moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the disk by the square of its radius.

3. How do you calculate the torque required to stop a 10 kg disk in 20 seconds?

To calculate the torque, we first need to find the moment of inertia of the disk. Then, we can use the formula torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration. The angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the final angular velocity (0 radians/s) by the time (20 seconds).

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of an object?

The rotational motion of an object is affected by its moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the distribution of mass within the object. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

5. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves circular movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object's position can be described by its angle or angular displacement, while in linear motion, the position is described by its distance or displacement. Additionally, different formulas and principles apply to each type of motion.