1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1

Dhl

hi!

i've been pondering about rotational motion (of a rigid body). i've been doing some internet research on it, but i have some trouble putting things together...
    i want to apply forces on the particle parts of a body. one website told me that when you know the axis of rotation, you compute r (the shortest distance between the particle and the axis), then the torque is t = r X F (F being the force). i also learned that motion of a rigid body can be expressed as linear motion + rotation about the center of mass (CM), so i assume that any rotational axis will go through CM.(correct me if i'm wrong so far...)
    can i just set r=CMP (vector from CM to the particle)? if this is not correct, i wonder how i could know the axis of rotation *before* i know the torque...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

Correct, the rigid body on application of force translate and rotate about an axis passing through its center of mass, but if the body (say a door panel) is not free, may only rotate about an axis not passing through ats center of mass. Any how, a motion both translational and rotational simultaneously may be considered as purely rotational instataneously, about some axis called instatinious axis of rotational.

4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

Dhl

thanks a lot. :)
    so, if i have a body of n particles (which can rotate freely), and two forces F1 and F2 that act on two of those particles, i could calculate rotational acceleration by:

[itex]r_{1}[/itex] = vector from CM to particle 1
    [itex]r_{2}[/itex] = vector from CM to particle 2

[itex]r_{1} \times F_{1} + r_{2} \times F_{2} = \sum_{i=0}^n \tau [/itex] (sum of torques)

Inertia [itex]I = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i}( r_{iy}^2+r_{iz}^2)&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iy}&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iz}\\\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iy}&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i}( r_{ix}^2+r_{iz}^2)&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{iz}r_{iy}\\\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iz}&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{iz}r_{iy}&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i}( r_{ix}^2+r_{iy}^2)\end{array}\right)[/itex]

rotational acceleration [itex]a=I^{-1} \sum_{i=0}^n \tau[/itex]
    am i still right?

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

mukundpa

Homework Helper

Yes, I think so.

6. Sep 18, 2005 #5
    search for chris hecker tutorial notes on game physics...it has a somewhat awkward wording but relatively easy tutorial on what your lookign for.

7. Sep 21, 2005 #6

Dhl

The Chris Hecker tutorial helped me a lot... articles explaining physics for use in games seem more understandable to me than physics papers. However, there was a thought that embarassed me: Assuming an object of two particles with the same mass, these will have the following vectors from the CM: (a,b,c), (-a,-b,-c) because they must be on the opposite side of CM. The resulting inertia matrix, then, is:

[tex]2m \left(\begin{array}{ccc} b^2+c^2&-ab&-ac\\-ab&a^2+c^2&-bc\\-ac&-bc&a^2+b^2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

which has a determinant of 0 and can't be inverted, so the motion can't be computed, too :eek:

If nature used particles to compute rotational motion, the universe would have crashed long ago :(

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  8. Sep 21, 2005 #7

mukundpa

Homework Helper

some problem in computing of Moment of Inertia. r^2 can not be negative.

9. Sep 21, 2005 #8

Dhl

The inertia matrix I posted was wrong, it should be:

[tex]I = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i}( r_{iy}^2+r_{iz}^2)&-\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iy}&-\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iz}\\-\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iy}&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i}( r_{ix}^2+r_{iz}^2)&-\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{iz}r_{iy}\\-\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{ix}r_{iz}&-\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i} r_{iz}r_{iy}&\sum_{i=0}^n m_{i}( r_{ix}^2+r_{iy}^2)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

thus the negative items in the matrix for 2 particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook