1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion

1. Nov 17, 2003 #1
    Okay guys, I have a serious question. In our Physics class, we were discussing rotational motion. Someone asked the question "If we were falling in a room (we're floating) and someone started to spin the room, would we still be floating? Or would we hit the walls?" If anyone could help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm going to search the web for circular motion, but who knows what I'll find! Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you and the room were falling in gravitational field, so that you have no contact with the walls, and someone applied a force to the walls so as to make the room itself spin, you would NOT spin with it and, in particular, would no experience any "centrifugal force".

(The air in the room next to the walls would experience some friction force which would cause the air in the room to start rotating (slowly) which would affect you eventually but that would be a very small effect.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?