1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational problem 2

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 75 kg , 34 cm long rod hangs vertically on a frictionless , horizontal axle passing through its cener. A 15 g ball of clay traelling horizontally at 2.2m/s hits and sticks to the very bottom tip of the rod. To what maximum angle , measured from vertical , does the rod ( with the attached ball of clay ) rotate ?

2. Relevant equations

KE= 1/2 (m+M)V^2 , U= Mg(L-Lcosθ) , mvi=(m+M)(L/2-L/2cos)

3. The attempt at a solution

Energy is conserved , Ei=Ef. Ei= 1/2(m+M)v^2 , Ef = Mg(L-Lcosθ) +(m+M)(L/2-L/2cos) or should i consider K rot as well ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Start from before the collision - is the collision elastic?

The kinetic energy left after the collision turns into gravitational potential energy right - so what would be the rotational KE when the rod reaches it's maximum angle?

note: the rod is pivoted through it's center - how does it's grav PE change with angle?

4. Jul 20, 2013 #3
    inelastic collision . Thats I am wondering the kinetic rotational energy is concluded and I am wondering the kinetic rotational energy is 1/2IW^2 and I = 1/2MR^2 + (M+m)R^2 ? how can I find angular velocity in this case ?

5. Jul 20, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to do conservation of angular momentum for the initial collision, use that ##\omega=v/r##
    So at the instant just before the collision, the mass m (given) is moving at speed u (given) a distance r (given) from the pivot (the rod has length 2r) then it's moment of inertia is ##I_m=mr^2## and it's momentum is ##L=(mr^2)(u/r)## ... afterwards: the instant after the collision, the mass m is moving with a (different) tangential velocity v, which gives angular velocity for both the mass and the rod (since they are turning at the same rate). Note: moment of inertial of the rod is not Mr^2. Look it up.

The kinetic energy will be ##\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted