Solve Rotational Problem 3: Max Angle for Rod+Clay

• Thread starter Anthonyphy2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, a 75g 30cm rod with a 10g clay ball attached horizontally impacts a frictionless, horizontal axle and rotates to a maximum angle measured from the vertical. Using the equations for angular momentum, rotational kinetic energy, and potential energy, the initial and final energies are calculated. The linear momentum is not conserved during the impact or subsequent rotation due to external forces. The initial angular momentum is not considered as the rod is stationary before impact.
Anthonyphy2013

Homework Statement

A 75 g 30 cm long rod hangs vertically on a frictionless, horizontal axle passing through its center. A 10g ball of clay traveling horizontally at 2.5 m/s hits and stick to the very bottom tip of the rod. To what maximum angle measured from the vertical, does the rod with attached ball of clay rotate?

Homework Equations

Angular momentum is conserved
initial L=final L
mvr=Iω
I=1/12MR^2 +mr^2
rotational K.E=1/2 Iω^2
MGh

The Attempt at a Solution

angular momentum :
0.01(2.5)(0.3)=(I1+I2)ω
Rod: I1=1/12MR^2=1/12(0.075)(0.15)^2=1.40e-04
Clay: I2=mR^2=.01(0.15)^2=2.25e-4
Initial energy =1/2 (I1+I2)ω^2

h1=.3-.3cos∅
mgh1=.01(9.8)(.3-.3cos∅)
h2=.15-.15cos∅
Mgh2=0.075(9.8)(.15-.15cos∅)
Final energy=Mgh1+mgh2
my question is only kinetic rotational energy is converted to potential energy and how come the kinetic energy is not converted to rotational energy and my teacher said the linear momentum is not conserved and I am so confused . Secondly, why the mass of initial angular momentum is small mass not the mass of clay and rod ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anthonyphy2013 said:
Angular momentum is conserved
Only if you choose the point to take moments about such that external forces make no contribution.
angular momentum :
0.01(2.5)(0.3)=(I1+I2)ω
About what point? How far is the point of impact of the clay ball from that point?
Rod: I1=1/12MR^2=1/12(0.075)(0.15)^2=1.40e-04
It's 1/12 if R is the length of the whole rod. What length did you use above?
h1=.3-.3cos∅
What does h1 represent?
my question is only kinetic rotational energy is converted to potential energy
You can view the clay mass after impact either as rotating about the centre of the rod (so use rotational KE) or as moving linearly horizontally (briefly). They produce the same KE. These are two different ways of looking at the same thing - don't add them.
my teacher said the linear momentum is not conserved
That's right. It obviously is not conserved during impact, and it's not conserved during the subsequent rotation either because there will be a force from the axle.
Secondly, why the mass of initial angular momentum is small mass not the mass of clay and rod ?
Initial? Do you mean before or after impact? Before impact, the rod is stationary, so how would that contribute to angular momentum?

I have another question if the massless rod is in that case , should I consider the Kinetic energy to be the initial energy ?

1. How do I determine the maximum angle for a rod and clay in a rotational problem?

The maximum angle for a rod and clay in a rotational problem can be determined using the equation θ = mgL/2EI, where θ is the maximum angle, m is the mass of the clay, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the rod, and EI is the flexural rigidity of the rod.

2. What is flexural rigidity and why is it important in rotational problems?

Flexural rigidity, represented by the symbol EI, is a measure of a material's resistance to bending. It is important in rotational problems because it affects the maximum angle that a rod can withstand before breaking or experiencing significant deformation.

3. Can I use the same equation to determine the maximum angle for any type of rod and clay combination?

Yes, the equation θ = mgL/2EI can be used to determine the maximum angle for any type of rod and clay combination, as long as the materials have known values for mass, length, and flexural rigidity.

4. How can I apply this equation to real-world situations?

This equation can be applied to real-world situations by first determining the mass, length, and flexural rigidity of the materials involved in the problem. Then, plug those values into the equation to calculate the maximum angle and use it to make informed decisions in designing structures or solving engineering problems.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

Yes, there are a few limitations to this equation. It assumes that the rod and clay are both uniform and that the bending of the rod is small. It also does not take into account factors such as air resistance, friction, and the effects of other external forces. Additionally, this equation is only applicable to rotational problems involving a rod and clay, and may not be suitable for solving other types of rotational problems.