1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational problem.

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a regular hexagon with sides of length 7cm has a point mass of 1kg at each vertex. what is the moment of inertia for rotation about an axis which goes through the center of the hexagon and is perpendicular to the place of the hexagon? note the sides are made of rods with negligible mass.

so i thought.. I=mr^2. so i went on to find the radius of to each mass and would sum them. but i do not get the answer. the answer by the way is .0294

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What radius to each mass did you get?

Your method is OK.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    well... for the top and bottom two.. i used.. sqrt[ (.07/2)^2 + ((.07/2)sqrt(3))^2 ] which is to the top corners.. so i thought it would be the same for the other corners so multiplied that by 4.

then i have the ones on the sides which would be just .07 as the radius.

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

A hexagon is made up of 6 equilateral triangles. That means that they are all at .07 m - all 6 of them.

6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    oh, haha, i see now... THANKS A BUNCH!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook