Angular Position, Speed, and Acceleration of a Swinging Door at t=0s and t=3.10s

• Thread starter Erenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary: It is difficult to directly apply these concepts to the question. However, you can use the concepts to help you understand the problem.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

During a certain time interval, the angular position of a swinging door is described by θ = 4.92 + 10.7t + 2.07t2, where θ is in radians and t is in seconds. Determine the angular position, angular speed, and angular acceleration of the door at the following times.
first at t=0s
then at t=3.10s
finding for each time interval [/B]
θ=
ω=
α=

Homework Equations

dθ/dt
dω/dt [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

so finding the angular position for t=0 i just took the 4.92 because both other parts are multiplied by time which here was 0 hence 4.92+0+0 and for t=3.10 just entered that time into that equation for θ and got 57.98 which was correct. When i tried to find ω at t=0 because ω=Δθ/Δt and you can't have denominator as 0 i thought they were trying to say that it had no angular speed at t=o which seems to make sense, but the answer wasnt 0 and same thing for angular acceleration.
then for t=3.10
ω=Δθ/Δt and got 4.56 rad/s which was also wrong and so was the angular acceleration.
am i meant to be using instantaneous angular speed and acceleration? if so how do i do that?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:

Homework Statement

During a certain time interval, the angular position of a swinging door is described by θ = 4.92 + 10.7t + 2.07t2, where θ is in radians and t is in seconds. Determine the angular position, angular speed, and angular acceleration of the door at the following times.
first at t=0s
then at t=3.10s
finding for each time interval [/B]
θ=
ω=
α=

Homework Equations

dθ/dt
dω/dt [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

so finding the angular position for t=0 i just took the 4.92 because both other parts are multiplied by time which here was 0 hence 4.92+0+0 and for t=3.10 just entered that time into that equation for θ and got 57.98 which was correct. When i tried to find ω at t=0 because ω=Δθ/Δt and you can't have denominator as 0 i thought they were trying to say that it had no angular speed at t=o which seems to make sense, but the answer wasnt 0 and same thing for angular acceleration.[/B]
You shouldn't simply divide by t. The answer is a bit more involved than that.
then for t=3.10
ω=Δθ/Δt and got 4.56 rad/s which was also wrong and so was the angular acceleration.
am i meant to be using instantaneous angular speed and acceleration? if so how do i do that?
Yes, I interpret the problem for asking for the instantaneous angular velocity and angular acceleration.

Do you know how to find the instantaneous slope of a curved function?

Edit: do you know another way of expressing [tex] \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} \ ?[/tex]

collinsmark said:
You shouldn't simply divide by t. The answer is a bit more involved than that.

Yes, I interpret the problem for asking for the instantaneous angular velocity and angular acceleration.

Do you know how to find the instantaneous slope of a curved function?
Dont you take a line tangent to the point and find its gradient ??

Erenjaeger said:
Dont you take a line tangent to the point and find its gradient ??
Essentially, yes.

Do you know the branch of mathematics that allows you to easily find the tangent on a curved line (and it's gradient, pretty much all in one step)?

collinsmark said:
Essentially, yes.

Do you know the branch of mathematics that allows you to easily find the tangent on a curved line?
are we talking about derivatives? I am familiar with deriving functions and integrating functions but i am not sure how i could apply the first derivative to find the instantaneous slope of a curved function. hopefully you mean derivatives ?? haha

Erenjaeger said:
are we talking about derivatives? I am familiar with deriving functions and integrating functions but i am not sure how i could apply the first derivative to find the instantaneous slope of a curved function. hopefully you mean derivatives ?? haha
Yes, you take the derivative. The derivative of function is its slope. Taking the derivative of a function with respect to time gives the rate of change of the function.

What is the rate of change of angular position?

What is the rate of change of that? :wink:

collinsmark said:
Yes, you take the derivative. The derivative of function is its slope. Taking the derivative of a function with respect to time gives the rate of change of the function.

What is the rate of change of angular position?

What is the rate of change of that? :wink:
is the rate of change of the angular position just the angular velocity ??
and the rate of change of that would just be angular acceleration wouldn't it ??

Likes collinsmark
Erenjaeger said:
is the rate of change of the angular position just the angular velocity ??
and the rate of change of that would just be angular acceleration wouldn't it ??
Correct and correct! :smile:

Likes Erenjaeger
collinsmark said:
Correct and correct! :smile:
okay great so how do i now apply this to the question ? I am still a bit confused on how i would go about solving the question

Erenjaeger said:
okay great so how do i now apply this to the question ? I am still a bit confused on how i would go about solving the question
Well, let's start with the angular velocity (we can come back to the angular acceleration when we're finished with that).

You know that the angular velocity, [itex] \omega [/itex], is the rate of change of the angular position, [itex] \theta [/itex]. And you know that for a given function [itex] F(t) [/itex], the rate of change of that function is the derivative of that function with respect to time, [itex] \frac{d}{dt} \{F(t) \} [/itex].

So how do you express [itex] \omega (t) [/itex] in terms of [itex] \theta(t) [/itex]?

collinsmark said:
Well, let's start with the angular velocity (we can come back to the angular acceleration when we're finished with that).

You know that the angular velocity, [itex] \omega [/itex], is the rate of change of the angular position, [itex] \theta [/itex]. And you know that for a given function [itex] F(t) [/itex], the rate of change of that function is the derivative of that function with respect to time, [itex] \frac{d}{dt} \{F(t) \} [/itex].

So how do you express [itex] \omega (t) [/itex] in terms of [itex] \theta(t) [/itex]?
would it just be the first derivative of θ(t)??

Erenjaeger said:
would it just be the first derivative of θ(t)??
Yes. That is correct! :smile:

collinsmark said:
Yes. That is correct! :smile:
so in this main question I am trying to solve, when they ask for ω i solve that by finding the answer to the first derivative of θ??

Erenjaeger said:
so in this main question I am trying to solve, when they ask for ω i solve that by finding the answer to the first derivative of θ??
Yes, that is correct.

collinsmark said:
Yes, that is correct.
just to make sure,
θ= 4.92+10.7+2.07t2
ω = dθ/dt = 10.07+4.14t
α = dω/dt = d2 θ/d2t = 4.14
right or ??

Erenjaeger said:
just to make sure,
θ= 4.92+10.7+2.07t2
ω = dθ/dt = 10.07+4.14t
α = dω/dt = d2 θ/d2t = 4.14
right or ??
You missed a t in your theta, but otherwise yes, I think you have the right idea. :woot:

Likes Erenjaeger

1. What is the angular position of the swinging door at t=0s and t=3.10s?

The angular position of the swinging door at t=0s is determined by the initial position of the door before it starts swinging. At t=3.10s, the angular position can be calculated by multiplying the angular velocity (in radians per second) by the time elapsed since t=0s.

2. How do you calculate the angular speed of the swinging door at t=0s and t=3.10s?

The angular speed of the swinging door can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position (in radians) by the change in time (in seconds). This will give the average angular velocity over the time interval, which can be used to determine the instantaneous angular speed at t=0s and t=3.10s.

3. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and angular speed for a swinging door?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular speed. In the case of a swinging door, the angular acceleration will be constant as long as no external forces (such as friction) are acting on the door. This means that the angular speed of the door will increase or decrease at a constant rate, depending on the direction of the acceleration.

4. How does the length of the door affect its angular position, speed, and acceleration?

The length of the door does not directly affect its angular position, speed, or acceleration. However, a longer door may have a greater moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. This can impact the door's angular acceleration and speed.

5. What factors can affect the angular position, speed, and acceleration of a swinging door?

The angular position, speed, and acceleration of a swinging door can be affected by various factors such as the length and weight of the door, the force applied to it, and any external forces acting on the door (such as friction or air resistance). The initial conditions (e.g. the starting position and velocity) also play a role in determining the door's motion.