1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational question

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnitude of the acceleration of a point on a spinning wheel is increased by a factor of 4 if:
    A) the magnitues of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 4
    B) the magnitues of the angular velocity is multuplied by a factor of 4 and the angular acceleration is not changed
    C) the magnitues of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 2
    D) the magnitues of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the angular acceleration is not changed
    E) the magnitues of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the magnitudeof the angular acceleration is multiplied by a factor of 4

answer is E

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay i tried working back from this and must be doing something wrong,

I start with Aradial = v^2/r = rω^2
    and Atangential = rα

I rearange for A = Aradial + Atangentail (as vectors)

which is = r√α^2 + ω^4

subbing in 4 and 2 i get r√32

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have interpreted "acceleration" in the question to mean the total acceleration.
    For circular motion, radial acceleration (##\small{\ddot r}##) is zero - so you are summing the tangential and centripetal acceleration.

So ##a=r\sqrt{\omega^4+\alpha^2}##

So far so good - but
    ...what did you put 4 nd 2 into and why?

Consider, multiplying angular velocity by 2 means that where you see a ##\omega## before, you put a ##2\omega##.

Working in reverse is a good idea.
    You need to put ##a_{new}=4a=4r\sqrt{\omega^4+\alpha^2}##... work out how that 4 fits against the angular terms.

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3
    |a| = r√(α24) ,Now when you put αnew=4α and ωnew =2ω ,you get r√(16(α24)) = 4r√(α24)

Hence option E is correct.

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4
    ohhh of course.. thanks

6. Apr 21, 2014 #5
    I think your mistake is that you are substituting values when you should be substituting in ratios.

7. Apr 21, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

FINAL (I hope) EDIT:

I agree it's E.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted