Explaining Angular Frequency: \theta, m, R, r & k

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to relate the angular displacement of a wheel to the torque applied on it, using the equations \tau=-k\theta and \tau=I\alpha. The goal is to find an expression for the angular frequency in terms of the variables R, r, m, and k.
suspenc3
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=846415

Can anyone explain this a little bit more?

I found these 2 formulas.
[tex]\tau=-k \theta[/tex]

How do I relate [tex]\theta[/tex] with m, R, r & k? (In my problem I am not working with numbers, i need to find an expression for angular frequency in terms of R, r, m, k,

[tex]\tau=I \alpha[/tex] where [tex]I=MR^2[/tex]

therefore [tex]\alpha = \frac{-k_t\theta}{MR^2}[/tex]

Do I just resolve [tex]\theta[/tex] into its horizontal component? That wouldn't really get rid of [tex]\theta[/tex] though...Confused
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
suspenc3 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=846415

Can anyone explain this a little bit more?

I found these 2 formulas.
[tex]\tau=-k \theta[/tex]

How do I relate [tex]\theta[/tex] with m, R, r & k? (In my problem I am not working with numbers, i need to find an expression for angular frequency in terms of R, r, m, k,

[tex]\tau=I \alpha[/tex] where [tex]I=MR^2[/tex]

therefore [tex]\alpha = \frac{-k_t\theta}{MR^2}[/tex]

Do I just resolve [tex]\theta[/tex] into its horizontal component? That wouldn't really get rid of [tex]\theta[/tex] though...Confused
Thanks

From the diagram in the link you posted you should be able to write an expression for the elongation (or compression) of the spring Δx in terms of the small angular displacement of the wheel from the equilibrium position. The force applied at the point of connection between the spring and the wheel is proportional to Δx. The torque about the axle of the wheel is the result of that force applied at distance r from the axis of rotation.

The "k" in your equation above is not necessarily the spring constant of the spring in the diagram. You need to find the proportionality constant between torque and angular displacement.

for the question. Angular frequency, denoted by \omega, is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or oscillating. It is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. In other words, it is the amount of rotation an object experiences per unit time.

In the formulas you have provided, \theta represents the angular displacement, which is the change in the angle of rotation. This can be related to the other variables in the following way:

- m represents the mass of the object
- R represents the distance of the object from the center of rotation
- r represents the radius of the object itself
- k represents the spring constant in a spring-mass system

In the formula \tau=-k\theta, \tau represents the torque applied to the object. This can be thought of as a twisting force that causes the object to rotate. The negative sign indicates that the direction of rotation is opposite to the direction of the torque.

In the second formula, \tau=I\alpha, I represents the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is equal to the product of the mass and the square of the distance from the center of rotation (MR^2). \alpha represents the angular acceleration, which is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time.

To relate \theta to these variables, we can use the formula \alpha=\frac{\tau}{I}. Substituting the values for \tau and I from the previous formulas, we get \alpha=\frac{-k\theta}{MR^2}. This can also be written as \omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{MR^2}}, which gives the expression for angular frequency in terms of the other variables.

To answer your last question, resolving \theta into its horizontal component may not be necessary as long as you use the correct values for the other variables. I hope this explanation helps to clear up any confusion.

1. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is represented by the symbol θ and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular frequency related to linear frequency?

Angular frequency and linear frequency are related through the equation ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency and f is the linear frequency. This means that the angular frequency is equal to the linear frequency multiplied by 2π.

3. What do the symbols m, R, r, and k represent in angular frequency?

In the context of angular frequency, m typically represents the mass of an object, R represents the radius of its circular motion, r represents the distance from the center of the circle to the object, and k represents the spring constant in a system with simple harmonic motion.

4. How is angular frequency calculated?

The formula for calculating angular frequency is ω = v/r, where v is the tangential velocity of the object and r is the radius of its circular motion. It can also be calculated using the equation ω = 2πf, where f is the linear frequency.

5. What is the significance of angular frequency in physics?

Angular frequency is an important concept in physics as it is used to describe the rotation of objects and systems. It is especially useful in understanding simple harmonic motion and oscillatory systems. It is also used in various equations and formulas to calculate other quantities related to rotational motion.