Rotational spectrum assignment

It's possible that knowing the molecule and its known rotational constants could help narrow down the possible J values. In summary, it may not be possible to assign specific J values to a single line in the rotational spectrum without additional information such as the molecule and its known rotational constants. The selection rules for J being +/- 1 for each rotational transition can provide some guidance, but it may not be enough to determine the correct J values.
jl29488
If I have the energy value (in cm-1) of a specific line in the rotational spectrum, how do I find out/assign the correct J''-J' values?

I know the selection rules for J to be +/- 1 for each rotational transition but I'm not sure how you can correctly identify which J value it is if your only given the energy.. The rotational parameter B isn't specified either so I'm puzzled.

Any help?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think it is possible to assign anything to just a single line.

jl29488 said:
If I have the energy value (in cm-1) of a specific line in the rotational spectrum, how do I find out/assign the correct J''-J' values?

I know the selection rules for J to be +/- 1 for each rotational transition but I'm not sure how you can correctly identify which J value it is if your only given the energy.. The rotational parameter B isn't specified either so I'm puzzled.

Any help?
Do you know what the molecule is?

1. What is rotational spectrum assignment?

Rotational spectrum assignment is the process of identifying and interpreting the spectral lines in a rotational spectrum, which is a type of spectroscopy used to study the rotational motion of molecules. It involves assigning the observed spectral lines to specific rotational transitions and determining the corresponding molecular parameters.

2. How is rotational spectrum assignment done?

Rotational spectrum assignment is typically done by comparing the observed spectral lines to the theoretical predictions for different rotational transitions. This involves solving mathematical equations and using computer software to fit the data and determine the molecular parameters. Other techniques such as isotopic substitution and Stark or Zeeman effect measurements may also be used to aid in the assignment process.

3. What is the importance of rotational spectrum assignment?

Rotational spectrum assignment is important because it provides valuable information about the structure, dynamics, and properties of molecules. It can help identify the chemical composition of a sample, determine molecular geometry, and study molecular interactions and reactions. Rotational spectrum assignment is also used in various fields such as astrophysics, atmospheric science, and materials science.

4. What are some challenges in rotational spectrum assignment?

One challenge in rotational spectrum assignment is the complexity of the spectra, which can be influenced by factors such as molecular symmetry, nuclear spin, and centrifugal distortion. Another challenge is the potential overlap of spectral lines, which can make it difficult to accurately assign transitions. Additionally, the assignment process may require knowledge of advanced mathematical and computational techniques.

5. What are some applications of rotational spectrum assignment?

Rotational spectrum assignment has many applications in various fields. In astrophysics, it is used to identify molecules in interstellar space and study the chemical composition of planetary atmospheres. In atmospheric science, it can help monitor air pollutants and study the dynamics of atmospheric molecules. In materials science, rotational spectrum assignment can aid in the characterization of molecular structures and interactions in materials. It also has applications in the pharmaceutical industry for drug discovery and development.