Rotational Speed of Car tyre?

• Thread starter gmxplode
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Rotational Speed of Car tyre???

hey guys i was trying to figure out this rotational speed of car tyre?...i have with me the diameter of the car tyre and the distance which it is travelling and the length of the car...so can any one help? i need to find out how much times will the tyre spin and at what speed in that travelled distance?

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Just work out the circumference of the tyre. Then divide the distance traveled by the car in one second by the circumference. That will be the number of revs per second.
The length of the car is not relevant (you could go on just one wheel, if you could stay upright.).

Just work out the circumference of the tyre. Then divide the distance traveled by the car in one second by the circumference. That will be the number of revs per second.
The length of the car is not relevant (you could go on just one wheel, if you could stay upright.).
ok thanks for the information...so if the car is travelling 34 feet and the diameter is 28 inches then the result im getting is 4.64 revolution which is equivalent to 1670 Degrees..is it correct?...

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

ok thanks for the information...so if the car is travelling 34 feet and the diameter is 28 inches then the result im getting is 4.64 revolution which is equivalent to 1670 Degrees..is it correct?...
That looks good to me.

That looks good to me.
this 34 feet is the total distance travelled and not distance travelled in one second so is it still correct?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member

OMG, I'm laying in bed and the man wants me to do feet and inches.
But you can do total distance travelled in any time interval. If each rotation is 360 then the angular speed is revs per second / hour / week times 360.
G'night. :-)

OMG, I'm laying in bed and the man wants me to do feet and inches.
But you can do total distance travelled in any time interval. If each rotation is 360 then the angular speed is revs per second / hour / week times 360.
G'night. :-)
Ok thanks got ya...

Of course, the velocity that the tire is moving where it meets the road must be zero, or you'll be skidding :)