Why Don't We Need to Consider Net Force in Rotational Static Equilibrium?

In summary, when considering rotational static equilibrium, it is important to consider both the net torque and net force acting on a system. Ignoring horizontal forces and vertical forces at the point of support can lead to incorrect calculations.
eason123deng

Homework Statement

I have a question about rotational static equilibrium. When we consider the static equilibrium of a system, I realized that most people only consider the net torque acting on the system. Why don't we need to consider the net force acting on the system?

For instance:
A 1.2m-wide sign hangs from a 5kg, 2-m-long pole. The mass of cable is negligible, What is the mass of the sign if the maximum tension in the cable without breaking is 300N?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/30392

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had two thoughts,
1) The net vertical force acting on the system is zero.(Horizontal forces are ignored)
T_cable = 300
mass_sign = unknown
mass_pole = 5kg
Vertical forces add up to be zero:
angle between cable and pole = arctan(2.5/2)
300sin(arctan(2.5/2)) = (mass_sign)g + 5g <-------- This equation allows me to calculate the mass of the sign, but it does not involve torque. So, are there any mistakes in my thought??

second thought)
The pivot point is at the wall

The net torque acting on the system is zero.
T_cable = 300
mass_sign = unknown
mass_pole = 5kg
torque exerted by the cable = 300 x 2 x sin(pi - arctan(2.5/2))
torque exerted by the sign = 1.4 meter x mg
torque exerted by the pole = 1meter x 5g

Net torque is zero:
300 x 2 x sin(pi - arctan(2.5/2)) = 1.4 meter x mg + 1meter x 5g <------- The calculated number is too large, is there anything wrong with this thought?

Sorry, i think the attachment failed to work. If it does, this is the link :
http://www.2shared.com/photo/vxJwBdL2/digram.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok I am no expert but i got the sign to be 30.4 kg. My class is in the same subject right now. so if you know the answer and it is somewhat similar to mines I can tell you how I did it. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing until the answer is confirmed.

eason123deng said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I had two thoughts,
1) The net vertical force acting on the system is zero.(Horizontal forces are ignored)
You can't ignore the horizontal forces.
T_cable = 300
mass_sign = unknown
mass_pole = 5kg
Vertical forces add up to be zero:
300sin(arctan(2.5/2)) = (mass_sign)g + 5g <-------- This equation allows me to calculate the mass of the sign, but it does not involve torque. So, are there any mistakes in my thought??
Yes, there is a vertical force at the point of support on the wall. You seem to have ignored that too.

second thought)
The pivot point is at the wall

The net torque acting on the system is zero.
T_cable = 300
mass_sign = unknown
mass_pole = 5kg
torque exerted by the cable = 300 x 2 x sin(pi - arctan(2.5/2))
torque exerted by the sign = 1.4 meter x mg
torque exerted by the pole = 1meter x 5g

Net torque is zero:
300 x 2 x sin(pi - arctan(2.5/2)) = 1.4 meter x mg + 1meter x 5g <------- The calculated number is too large, is there anything wrong with this thought?
This is the correct way to go about it if you are not interested in the reaction forces at the wall. Perhaps you made a mistake in the arithmetical calculation. Can you show the details of your work?

1. What is rotational static equilibrium?

Rotational static equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating and has no tendency to rotate. This means that the net torque acting on the object is zero, resulting in a balanced and stable system.

2. How is rotational static equilibrium different from regular static equilibrium?

In regular static equilibrium, the object is not moving and has no tendency to move in any direction. However, in rotational static equilibrium, the object is not rotating and has no tendency to rotate. This means that the forces acting on the object are balanced not only in terms of linear motion, but also in terms of rotational motion.

3. What factors affect rotational static equilibrium?

The factors that affect rotational static equilibrium include the mass of the object, the distance between the object and the axis of rotation, and the magnitude and direction of the applied forces. These factors determine the torque acting on the object and whether it is in a state of equilibrium.

4. How is rotational static equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Rotational static equilibrium is used in many everyday objects such as seesaws and balance scales. It is also utilized in engineering and construction, where structures are designed to maintain rotational static equilibrium for stability and safety.

5. Why is understanding rotational static equilibrium important in science?

Understanding rotational static equilibrium is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in rotational motion, and is crucial in designing and building stable and functional structures and machines.