Rotational temperature problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational temperature of the molecule 31P14N in a very cold environment using microwave spectroscopy. The intensity of two specific lines is equal, and this information can be used to solve for T. The equations used are the Boltzmann distribution and the line strength formula for a linear molecule.
burns96

Homework Statement

Hi there, I have a question that I'm not sure how to go about solving:
I've been given a series of transitions in the microwave spectrum of 31P14N and have assigned these Jinitial and Jfinal quantum numbers, calculated the bond length etc.
The next part says that when 31P14N is observed in the very cold environment of interstellar space by microwave spectroscopy, the second and third lines have equal intensity, and asks what the rotational temperature of the molecule in this environment would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

ΘR = ħ2/2kBI
ni/n0 = (2J+1) exp [-BJ(J+1)/kT]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 3.581 x 10-46 for I
But then plugging this into the equation I get 1.125K
I'm a bit unsure of where to go from here, I'm told I need to work out the Boltzmann distributions, is that for the two lines of equal intensity, and do I use the rotational temperature for T?

Physics news on Phys.org
burns96 said:

Homework Statement

Hi there, I have a question that I'm not sure how to go about solving:
I've been given a series of transitions in the microwave spectrum of 31P14N and have assigned these Jinitial and Jfinal quantum numbers, calculated the bond length etc.
The next part says that when 31P14N is observed in the very cold environment of interstellar space by microwave spectroscopy, the second and third lines have equal intensity, and asks what the rotational temperature of the molecule in this environment would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

ΘR = ħ2/2kBI
ni/n0 = (2J+1) exp [-BJ(J+1)/kT]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 3.581 x 10-46 for I
But then plugging this into the equation I get 1.125K
I'm a bit unsure of where to go from here, I'm told I need to work out the Boltzmann distributions, is that for the two lines of equal intensity, and do I use the rotational temperature for T?

The intensity (I) of a given rotational transition (J->J+1) is:

I(J) = N_J *S(J) where S is the line strength.

I(J) = const * (2J+1)exp [-B*J*(J+1)/kT]*S(J)

For a linear molecule, S(J) = mu^2 * (J+1) /(2J+1) -- Townes and Schalow, "Microwave Spectroscopy"

I(J=0)/I(J=1) = 1 = ...

Plug in and solve for T.

What is rotational temperature problem?

The rotational temperature problem refers to the difficulty in accurately measuring the temperature of a rotating body, such as a planet or star. This is because the temperature of a rotating object is not evenly distributed and can vary at different locations on the surface.

Why is rotational temperature important?

Rotational temperature is important because it can provide valuable information about the physical properties and behavior of a rotating body. It is used in fields such as astronomy, atmospheric science, and engineering to understand the dynamics and energy balance of rotating objects.

How is rotational temperature measured?

Rotational temperature is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques, which involve analyzing the light emitted by a rotating object to determine its temperature. This method takes into account the Doppler effect caused by the rotation of the object, allowing for a more accurate measurement of the temperature.

What are some challenges in measuring rotational temperature?

The main challenge in measuring rotational temperature is the non-uniform distribution of temperature on a rotating object. This can be affected by factors such as the object's rotation speed, composition, and atmospheric conditions. Additionally, the presence of clouds or other obstructions can make it difficult to obtain accurate measurements.

How is the rotational temperature problem addressed?

To address the rotational temperature problem, scientists use advanced mathematical models and algorithms to account for the non-uniform temperature distribution. They may also combine data from multiple observations and instruments to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the object's temperature. Additionally, technological advancements in spectroscopic techniques continue to improve the accuracy of measuring rotational temperature.