Calculating Rotational Torque of Prime Mover

In summary, the individual is seeking outside opinions on determining the available torque on a prime mover that utilizes gravity and pneumatic movement. They have a giant flywheel rotating at 18 RPMs with a moment of inertia of 8700 kg per meter squared and are trying to determine the available torque at the axle of the driver. While their description is unclear, their calculation of 8700 kilograms per meter squared multiplied by 1.83 radians per second equals 15921 Newton meters is incorrect due to incorrect units.
Pinon1977
I need some outside opinions on determining the available torque on a prime mover.

I have a mechanical advantage prime mover (or driver) that creates rotation of its overall mass via a series of offset mass movements within the driver. It's primary power source is gravity; however, movement is also done pnumatically via a Fibonacci engine which supplies the aforementioned air requirements.

Basically what I have is a giant flywheel turns at about 18 RPMs and has a moment of inertia of approximately 8700 kg per meter squared. I'm trying to determine, based upon the aforementioned information, what the available torque would be at the axle of the driver. My first thought would be to multiply the moment of inertia body angular velocity and that would give you a Value in Newton the meters. Or, otherwise, 8700 kilograms per meter squared times 1.83 radians per second equals roughly 15921 Newton meters.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your description in the second paragraph is not at all clear to me, but just going by the third paragraph...
Yes, except that wherever you have written "kg per meter squared" (kg m-2) you mean just "kg meter squared" (kg m2).

Pinon1977 said:
My first thought would be to multiply the moment of inertia body angular velocity and that would give you a Value in Newton the meters..

We have already explained to you why that's not correct in your previous thread. Unfortunately you don't seem able to grasp the basic concepts involved.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain locked, and the OP has been reminded not to post about this again at the PF.

Likes Nidum

What is rotational torque?

Rotational torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

How is rotational torque calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational torque is torque = force x distance, where force is the perpendicular force applied to the object and distance is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This formula assumes that the force and distance are both measured in the same units (e.g. newtons and meters).

What is a prime mover?

A prime mover is a machine or device that converts energy into mechanical motion, such as an engine or motor. In the context of rotational torque, the prime mover is the source of the force that is causing the object to rotate.

How do you calculate rotational torque of a prime mover?

To calculate rotational torque of a prime mover, you need to know the force applied by the prime mover and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Once you have these values, you can use the formula torque = force x distance to determine the torque produced by the prime mover.

Why is calculating rotational torque important?

Calculating rotational torque is important in many engineering and scientific applications, as it allows us to understand and predict the rotational motion of objects. It is especially useful in designing and optimizing machines and devices that rely on rotational motion, such as engines, turbines, and motors.