How Is Angular Acceleration Calculated in a Rotational Torque Problem?

The angular acceleration of the spool is 2613.333 and the final rotation speed is unknown. However, the tension in the string must be solved first. There seems to be some confusion about the correct answer.
hun_nomin
Question:

A light string 4 m long is wrapped around a cylindrical spool with a radius of 0.075 m and a mass of .5 kg. A 5 kg mass is then attached to the free end of the string causing the string to unwind from the spool.

a) What is the angular accelerataion of the spool?

b) how fast will the spool be rotating after all of the string has unwound?

I got an answer of 2613.333 for (a), but my teacher claims the answer is wrong. I just want to solve this problem or else it's going to kill me...so if any of you know how, please reply. He said the tension must be solved first. but i have no idea. i though the time would be .9 but seems not.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. The first part is to find the tension in the string when the 5 kg mass is attached. We can use the equation F = ma, where F is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. Since we are looking for the tension, we rearrange the equation to T = ma. Plugging in the values, we get T = (5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 49 N. This is the tension in the string when the mass is attached.

Next, we need to find the moment of inertia of the spool. The moment of inertia, represented by the symbol I, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. For a cylindrical spool, the moment of inertia is given by I = 1/2 * mr^2, where m is the mass of the spool and r is the radius. Plugging in the values, we get I = 1/2 * (0.5 kg)(0.075 m)^2 = 0.00140625 kg*m^2.

Now, we can use the equation for rotational torque, τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. Rearranging the equation to solve for α, we get α = τ/I. Plugging in the values, we get α = (49 N)(0.075 m)/0.00140625 kg*m^2 = 2616.667 rad/s^2.

This is the angular acceleration of the spool. To find the final angular velocity, we can use the equation ω = ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity (which is 0 in this case), and t is the time. We need to find the time it takes for the string to unwind, which can be calculated using the length of the string and the linear velocity of the 5 kg mass. The linear velocity can be calculated using v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the spool. Plugging in the values, we get v = (2616.667 rad/s)(0.075 m) = 196.25 m/s. The time

What is rotational torque?

Rotational torque, also known as moment of force, is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is dependent on the magnitude of the force and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

How is rotational torque calculated?

Rotational torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F * r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

What are the units for rotational torque?

The SI unit for rotational torque is Newton-meters (N*m). However, other units such as pound-feet (lb*ft) or kilogram-meters (kg*m) may also be used to measure torque.

How does rotational torque differ from linear torque?

Rotational torque refers to the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while linear torque refers to the force that causes an object to move in a straight line. Rotational torque is dependent on the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear torque is dependent on the perpendicular distance from the line of action.

What are some real-world applications of rotational torque?

Rotational torque is used in many everyday applications, such as opening a door, tightening a bolt, or riding a bike. It is also important in industrial settings, such as in the operation of machinery or vehicles. Understanding rotational torque can also help in designing structures and machines that can withstand forces and prevent accidents.