Find Frictional Force & Rotational Inertia of a Wheel

In summary, the wheel rolls smoothly due to the absence of slippage, and the only forces acting upon it are the applied force and static friction.
Nanuven
In the figure below, a constant horizontal force Fapp of magnitude 15 N is applied to a wheel of mass 14 kg and radius 0.40 m. The wheel rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface, and the acceleration of its center of mass has magnitude 0.43 m/s2.

(a) In unit-vector notation, what is the frictional force on the wheel? (b) What is the rotational inertia of the wheel about the rotation axis through its center of mass? Ok so the wheel is rolling smoothly which means that static friction is involved. I came up that Frictional Force = uN = u(14 * 9.8) = 137.2 u

So the only forces acting upon this object is the applied force, 15N and Friction which is 137.2 u.

Now I'm lost...I don't know where to go from here...any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, a wheel rolling smoothly just means there is no slippage occurring. Think about what has to be true if the wheel is not to slip while moving translationally. Also this relates to kinetic, not static friction, as the wheel is in motion.

Hi Nanuven,

In this case I don't believe you can use that formula for the frictional force. For the static frictional force

u_s N

gives the maximum static frictional force, which occurs when the surfaces are just about to slip. That does not appear to be happening here.

I think to find the frictional force, perhaps use a force diagram and Newton's law, since the acceleration is given.

-----------------

Hi Nabeshin,

When the wheel is rolling without slipping the kinetic frictional force is not involved. The difference between kinetic and static friction is whether or not the two surfaces are in relative motion at the contact point. But the bottom of a wheel that is in contact with the ground has zero velocity if it is rolling smoothly, so there is no relative motion at that point.

Hi Nanuven! :smile:

You don't need the coefficient of friction at all.

Just follow alphysicist's advice, and use Newton's second law: total horizontal force = mass times horizontal acceleration! :smile:

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves over a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the surface of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How can frictional force be calculated?

Frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

3. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

4. How can rotational inertia of a wheel be determined?

The rotational inertia of a wheel can be determined by measuring the mass of the wheel and its radius, and then using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass, and r is the radius.

5. Why is it important to find the frictional force and rotational inertia of a wheel?

Knowing the frictional force and rotational inertia of a wheel is important for understanding its performance and efficiency. It can also help in designing and improving the functionality of machines and vehicles that use wheels, such as cars and bicycles.