Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotations in SU(2) space

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    Hi. I know that the [itex]\sigma [/itex] matrices are the generators of the rotations in su(2) space. They satisfy
    [tex] [\sigma_i,\sigma_j]=2i\epsilon_{ijk}\sigma_k[/tex] It is conventional therefore to take [itex]J_i=\frac{1}{2}\sigma_i[/itex] such that [itex][J_i,J_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}\sigma_k [/itex]. Isn't there a problem by taking these [itex] J_i [/itex] since [itex] \det J_i \neq 1[/itex]? (since we are talking about the special unitary group.)
    Also, how does one arrive at the general form of the rotation matrix [itex]e^{i\bf{\sigma} \theta\cdot \bf{\hat{n}}/2}[/itex]? the factor of 1/2 obviously comes from the definition of J above. Where does the [itex] \hat n [/itex] come from?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No there is no problem here, su(2) is the Lie algebra of the group SU(2) and is a linear vector space. The determinant of the generators is not relevant (you will also notice that the determinants of the ##\sigma##s is -1.

Any SU(2) matrix can be written as an exponentiation of an element of the Lie group su(2). The ##\theta## and the ##\hat n## simply parametrise the three-dimensional Lie algebra su(2).

4. Mar 30, 2015 #3
    I see. Thank you

Ok. And [itex] \hat n [/itex] parametrizes it since it can include any (normalized) 3d vector, thus describing any linear combination, and we can choose it to be normalized since a multiplicative factor in the exponent doesn't matter. Is that correct?

5. Mar 31, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The general spin-1/2 rotation matrix reads
    $$D(\vec{\varphi})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{\varphi}/2),$$
    where the magnitude of ##\vec{\varphi}## denotes the rotation angle and its direction ##\hat{n}=\vec{\varphi}/|\vec{\varphi}|## in the sense of the right-hand rule.

Since
    $$\mathrm{det} D=\exp[\mathrm{Tr}(\ln D)]=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \mathrm{Tr} \vec{\varphi} \cdot \vec{\sigma}/2) \stackrel{!}{=} 1,$$
    it follows that
    $$\mathrm{Tr} \sigma_j=0, \quad j \in \{1,2,3 ,\}.$$
    Further ##D^{\dagger}=D^{-1}## implies that
    $$\sigma_j^{\dagger}=\sigma_j, \quad j \in \{1,2,3 \}.$$
    Thus the generators of spin-1/2 rotations are the Hermitean traceless ##\mathbb{C}^{2 \times 2}## matrices, which build a vector space and together with the commutator a Lie algebra.

6. Mar 31, 2015 #5
    Thank you. How do you see the geometrical meaning of the expression [itex] \exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{\varphi}/2[/itex]? i.e. how do you see that it means a rotation at an angle [itex] \varphi [/itex] about the axis [itex] \hat{\varphi} [/itex]? I thought about showing that the rotation matrix doesn't change the axis vector [itex] \hat{\varphi}=\hat{n} [/itex], as the axis should not rotate, but I'm not sure how to do this.

7. Apr 1, 2015 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You can map the three vectors to
    ##X=\vec{x} \cdot \vec{\sigma}.##
    Then the rotation is given by
    ##X'=D(\vec{\varphi}) X D^{-1}(\vec{\varphi}).##
    This is the socalled adjoint representation, which is the fundamental representation of rotations in terms of SO(3).

8. Apr 1, 2015 #7
    But how [itex] \hat{n} [/itex] and [itex] \varphi [/itex] are interpreted as the axis and the angle of the rotation?

9. Apr 1, 2015 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take an arbitrary vector and decompose it into a part parallel (or ant-parallel) to n, and a part orthogonal to n. The part parallel to n remains invariant (because it is along the axis of rotation), and the part orthogonal to n rotates by angle psi in a plane orthogonal to n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook