1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotations with quaternions

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    If we take a vector "v" and utilize a quaternion q and its conjugate complex, we can rotate the "v" vector this way:

qvq*

The question is, what happens if "v" is not a vector, and is a quaternion? rotates it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Plott029. In what class are quaternions introduced?

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    The utilized to rotations (norm 1, etc.). But the problem I see is that in vectors, I can understand it. But if "v" is a quaternion, I don't understand if the answer is a "rotated quaternion" or another thing.

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4
    Am i to understand the question is asking what happens if v is a quaternion and not a vector? your wording was a little confusing.

1 method is to find out by expanding the quaternions into there matrix form =].

the 2nd is to just simple understand whats going on...
    what happens when you multiple to Qs. Whats does the conjugate
    of a quaternion represent

btw is this for a math class or a 3D math/programming class?

6. Feb 27, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought that qvq^(-1) gives a rotation of a vector v. If v is a general quaternion, then v = v0 + w, with v0 a scalar and w a vector (pure quaternion). Then

qvq^(-1) = v0 + qwq^(-1).

In some sense this can regarded as a rotation of quaternion: the scalar part is invariant under rotation and the vector part gets rotated as ususal.

Regards,
    George

7. Mar 1, 2006 #6
    quaternions

this way, the rotation of a quaternion w is, for example, an expresión like this: qwq(-1) ???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook