1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotative motion

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two sticks 1 and 2 are attached together at the point B and the stick 1 is placed on point A and all these sticks can be rotated with no friction. If the stick 2 rotated freely around point B, in which direction the stick 2 will rotate???

2. Relevant equations
    I°ω°=Iω

3. The attempt at a solution
    Once I found out from another question that if these two sticks rotate at the same direction, the stability becomes the maximum.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      3.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean these are coupled rigid rotors (special case of pendulums)?
    The pivot is at point A. Stick 2 starts horizontal and stick 1 starts vertical.
    I take it gravity is not a factor here?

So stick 2 starts out with some angular momentum about point B (not it's center of mass).
    What does that do to point B?

What level does this need to be done at?

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3
    This is not a pendulum and these two sticks are placed vertically. If a rotation is given to BC, what will be the rotation direction of AB??? I think it's the same direction as BC does. Because it gives the maximum stability to the system then. Am I right??? :D

5. Aug 14, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What you have described is one of the possible stationary state solutions ... but is it a solution that applies here? Have you been asked for the most stable state? Have you even been asked for a stationary state? Or are you expected to reason out the direction of rotation for stick 1 at the instant shown on the diagram?

If the two sticks are vertical - and they have mass - then it's a pendulum.
    You don't have to believe me - build one and see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook