Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rough Science

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does anyone here watch the Rough Science series? It was made by BBC in collaboration with the Open University. It's really fun to watch.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've watched all perivous series, and I must say I really do enjoy them. Do you know when the new series is starting? Or have I missed it already:frown: ?

4. Jun 12, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Currently series 5 is being shown on BBC. In the last episode, they made a "coral reef burglar alarm". Using a pencil sharpener as a sacrificial anode, to protect the metal trip wire was ingenious. I love the way this show clearly demonstrates science with such simplicity.

I read that they are still making series 6, which should be out soon.

5. Jan 21, 2009 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are quite entertaining!! I jot down notes, as I watch them, to see if I can
    come up with my own solutions to the challenges, or at least more fully understand
    what the scientists have done with the resources they had on hand.

In the US, they have aired only first four series (on PBS).
    I didn't view them when they aired. I found a DVD at the public library, with their trip
    to the gold coast near New Zealand (series 3) and their expedition to Death Valley,
    California to take on Space exploration challenges (series 4).

They do make science look fun, and within the grasp of anyone with the inclination to
    try it. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?