Rough sketch of exponential graph without derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for sketching the graph of e^x + x - 2 to show that it has only one root, before learning about derivatives and the curve sketching algorithm. It is suggested to break up the function into simpler parts, such as e^x and x, and graph them separately to find where they intersect. This method can also be applied to finding roots of other complex functions.
Batmaniac

Homework Statement

Roughly sketch e^x + x - 2 to show that it has only one root. This is given before we learn derivatives and the curve sketching algorithm, but after we have gone through limits and asymptotes.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the graph of e^x - 2,is easy enough, a simple exponential graph shifted down by 2. But what does the +x do to the graph from there? I've no idea. I could sketch it using the curve sketching algorithm we learned in high school calculus, but we don't cover that for another month or so in this course so I know it's expected to be done by other methods (mostly intuition!), especially since it's just a really rough sketch they want.

- thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]y=x^2-3x+2[/tex] to find how many roots this eq'n has you would equate y to zero and solve right?
but what in fact you are really doing graphically is drawing the graph of the left side and the graph of the right side and finding where they intersect.

so for your situation
let [tex]y=e^x + x - 2=o[/tex] now there are many graphs you can draw to show that there is only one root.

you could put [itex]e^x + x=2[/itex] and draw the curve [itex]y=e^x + x[/itex] and the line [itex]y=2[/itex] and show that they intersect one point. Or you could draw [itex]y=e^x[/itex] and the line [itex]y=2-x[/itex] and so forth...So pick which ever combination you find easiest or most useful to draw

That's an awesome method for finding roots of complex functions. I never knew you could break them up like that.

Thanks a lot!

What is an exponential graph?

An exponential graph is a type of graph that shows the relationship between two variables, where one variable increases or decreases at a constant rate while the other variable grows or decays exponentially.

What does a rough sketch of an exponential graph look like?

A rough sketch of an exponential graph typically starts at the origin and then curves upward or downward, depending on whether the base of the exponential function is greater than or less than 1.

How can I determine the direction of an exponential graph without using derivatives?

You can determine the direction of an exponential graph by looking at the value of the base of the exponential function. If the base is greater than 1, the graph will increase as it moves from left to right. If the base is less than 1, the graph will decrease as it moves from left to right.

Can I use a rough sketch of an exponential graph to estimate values?

Yes, a rough sketch of an exponential graph can help you estimate values by looking at the general shape of the graph and identifying key points such as the y-intercept, which is the starting point of the graph, and the asymptote, which is the point at which the graph approaches but never reaches.

What are the limitations of using a rough sketch of an exponential graph without derivatives?

A rough sketch of an exponential graph without derivatives can only give you a general idea of the shape of the graph and cannot provide precise information about the rate of change or the exact values of the function at specific points. To get more accurate information, you will need to use derivatives and equations to analyze the graph.