1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roulette F=mv^2/r

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    Hey Everyone,

I'm a first year mech eng student and have been studying circular movement.
    Gonna state a few things, please pick me up where i'm incorrect:

A roulette wheel. The ball spins around, and is held against the side of the wheel due to F=mv^2/r

If m and r are constant, then whatever speed the ball starts spinning at, will always fall off the edge of the wheel at the same speed.

Its speed at a moment is 2PI/time taken for one revolution - angular velocity?

This is where i am maninly confused:

Its acceleration is change in two measured velocities/difference in time taken for those velocities? i.e change in speed over change in time? This deceleration is a constant until the ball falls from the rim.

The ball will only stay against the rim if v^2/r > g from:

f = mv^2/r = mg

when they are equal the ball is about to fall but not quite, and the m's cancel.

v^2/r is centrepetal acceleration. what affect does this have - how can i think about how this affects the ball?

if a ball has a velocity of 10m/s and a deceleration of 0.1m/s/s then the ball will take 100 seconds to stop?

How far off am i?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted