Calculating Error in Resistance Measurements

In summary, when reading voltage and current values on a meter, the numbers are rounded off. This can lead to errors in calculations. Resistance is calculated by taking the voltage divided by the current. The maximum error possible for resistance is given by the largest possible voltage divided by the smallest possible resistance. The smallest possible resistance is given by the largest possible voltage divided by the smallest possible current. The nominal value is the actual value that is measured. The difference between the nominal and maximum and minimum is calculated and quoted as the resistance.
khizman
Rounded Numbers --> error?

Say i am measuring resistance of a wire, i have a voltmetre and an ammetre set up to work out the resistance.

Votmetere says 1.45 and ammetre says 0.45, this wint be enirely aacurate would it? arnt the numbers rounded off on the screen?

So what part does this play in errors? absolute and relative>?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously the voltage is not exactly 1.45 volts and the current isn't exactly .45 amps.

As far as the type of error, think of the way it rounds. If the voltage is read as 1.45 that could mean that the actual voltage is anywhere from 1.445 to 1.455. Notice that 1.45 is exactly in the middle of the range of actual readings that yield 1.45 when rounded. You can express that reading as 1.45 +/- .005. (Someone please correct me if I made a mistake in the decimals. It doesn't really matter when it comes to answering the original question though)

What kind of error does that represent then?

Of course I assumed that the meter actually rounds the number instead of just chopping the extra digits off.

Last edited:
As dav said the maximum error is [itex]\pm 0.005[/itex], however, you have to be carefull when calculating the resultant error on your resistance calculations. Resistance is given by;

[tex]R = \frac{V}{I}[/tex]

Therefore, the maximum error for your resistance would be given by the largest possible voltage divided by the smallest possible resistance. For example, if your intruments displayed values of 1.45V and 0.45A, then your largest possible resistance would be;

[tex]R = \frac{1.45 + 0.005}{0.45 - 0.005} = \frac{1.455}{0.445} \approx 3.26966[/tex]

The smallest your resistance could possible be is;

[tex]R = \frac{1.45 - 0.005}{0.45 + 0.005} = \frac{1.445}{0.455} \approx 3.17582[/tex]

Your 'nominal value' (what you actually measured) would be;

[tex]R = \frac{1.45}{0.45} = \frac{29}{9} \approx 3.22222[/tex]

You would then need to calculate the difference between your nominal and maximum and minimum and you would quote your answer as;

[tex]R = 3.22 [+0.047 / - 0.046] \Omega[/tex]

It is very time consuming to do this by hand and I usually set up a speadsheet to do the calculations for me.

Regards
-Hoot

(Correct me if my calcs are wrong)

Last edited:

1. What are rounded numbers and why do they have errors?

Rounded numbers are numbers that have been approximated to a certain degree of accuracy. They have errors because they deviate from the exact value of the number, which can occur due to limitations in measurement instruments or human error in calculations.

2. How do errors in rounded numbers affect scientific calculations?

Errors in rounded numbers can significantly impact scientific calculations, as even a small error can lead to incorrect results. This is especially important in fields such as physics and chemistry where precise measurements are crucial.

3. Are there different types of errors in rounded numbers?

Yes, there are two types of errors in rounded numbers - absolute error and relative error. Absolute error is the difference between the rounded number and the exact value, while relative error is the ratio of the absolute error to the exact value.

4. How can scientists minimize errors in rounded numbers?

Scientists can minimize errors in rounded numbers by using more precise measurement instruments and performing multiple measurements to reduce human error. They can also use statistical analysis techniques to quantify and account for the errors in their calculations.

5. Can errors in rounded numbers be completely eliminated?

No, errors in rounded numbers cannot be completely eliminated as they are inherent in the process of rounding. However, they can be minimized through careful and accurate measurements and calculations.